change owner error

Jump to solution
04-07-2017 08:48 AM
CraigEissler2
New Contributor II

When I attempt to Change Owner of my Content I receive an Error indicating this is not possible for a Group with 'Update Capabilities'. However, I don't see how you can change that because that Group Type cannot be disabled, and the checkbox is even grayed-out to prove it.

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you want to change the owner you will need to unshare the item from the group which has the update capability enabled. Once the item is no longer shared with a group which has the update capability you should be able to change the owner.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you want to change the owner you will need to unshare the item from the group which has the update capability enabled. Once the item is no longer shared with a group which has the update capability you should be able to change the owner.

SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

I am having a problem with this now and am unable to change ownership of Hub sub pages. They are not shared to any groups only Everyone but still will not let me switch owners.  Can you please advise?

Thanks

Error:

Unable to change the owner of items that are shared to a group with the update capability

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Update - figured this out. In ArcGIS online, go to item list, then under sharing, choose update capabilities.  That is where the groups are listed.  This worked and I could change owner.

MelissaNorthey
Occasional Contributor

I realize this is old, but I stumbled upon this today in my searches and thought I might add to this for the next person in my shoes.  I found that I was unable to unshare from the group and have it update to private.  It would still show as it was shared to a group without any checkboxes checked!  My fix was to unshare it from the groups, and click share to organization, press OK.  Then turn around and edit the share again removing organization, press OK - with this it finally updated to private.  Then I could move the content to another user.  It was acting buggy, not sure if it was browser specific (Chrome), but I figured it out quick enough by myself.  I thought I'd save someone the trouble if they experience the same.

ESR1BrokeIt
New Contributor

Thank you, Melissa. This workaround fixed the problem we were having.

Makes no sense. It's a hassle. But it works. The ESRI way.

EricPezoa
New Contributor

This looks more like an unresolved BUG, as this is a big waste of time, when an employee leaves the company and a large set of items need to be reassigned , having to chase each item becomes a big project.

Enhancement request  https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/ENH-000122352