cannot find my content

06-08-2010 10:58 AM
JasonHrubizna
New Contributor III
My goal is to view my own data in ArcGIS Explorer Online.
I have added content to ArcGIS Online.  When searching "My Content" for the data I have added to ArcGIS Online, the search doesn't return anything.  I am searching using the exact keywords I entered when I uploaded the data.

I've added two screenshots to help describe what I've done.
Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated

thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Presently, you can only add map services as layers to web maps (and ArcGIS Explorer Online). We're working on supporting layer packages and "web enabling" them so that they can be added over a web map. Layer packages are layer files with the data packaged up with them. We will never be able to directly dispaly ArcMap layer files over the Web map because there is no data associated with them.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: bizna

Thanks for responding Mike. I was aware that a layer file only refers to source data. The layer file I uploaded to arcgisonline refers to data on my hard disk. I wasn't expecting others to be able to see the data using the layer file, just myself.

So currently, the only way to see your own data is through your own map service. In the future, we may be able to upload data to arcgisonline via a layer package.  Do I understand this correctly?

thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes. The plan for the future is that you'll be able to create cached map services out of layer packages you upload.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos