Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot add any layer from web (map service)

12-11-2013 06:22 AM
Lu-chiaChuang
Occasional Contributor
Please help. I cannot add any layer from web into a map on my test portal for ArcGIS. I have no problem to add the same layers to an ArcGIS Online map. The error message is "The layer, layer_name, is not responding. Still trying ....". Another problem is that "Search for layers" does not give anything back. I can add a Web Application from other servers, but not map service.

My guess is this is a communication issue between my server and other servers. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW, here is a list of the software on my test portal:

Windows Server 2008R2
  Portal for ArcGIS 10.2
  ArcGIS web adapter for IIS
  ArcGIS server 10.2
  ArcGIS GeoEvent processor 10.2

Luke
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Thanks for the update.  Are you federating portal with AGS?

For the Portal web adaptor, is anonymous authentication disabled and IWA auth enabled in IIS?
0 Kudos
PF1
by
Frequent Contributor
Here is a quick update.

Our system admin gave me a new VM. I did a fresh installation of Portal for ArcGIS and Web Adapter for Portal according to ESRI document. No problem so far. I am able to add map services to my map. But.... once I set up security to use Integrated Windows Authentication, I cannot add map services to a map. I receives the same error message as before - "The layer, layer_name, is not responding. Still trying ....".

An ESRI web consultant is visiting my company later this week for a different project. I will try to get some answers from him. Thanks for all your feedback.

Luke

Hi Luke,

What browser are you accessing the portal solution from?  We have the same problem with our deployment and it is related to mixed content.  If the portal is configured with IWA then it is binded to Port 443 (HTTPS) and access over 80 (HTTP) is disabled (runs in SSL only).  When you add a service that is not deployed with HTTPS then the browser blocks the request since its running unsecured scripts (mixed content).  As a mitigation, we have enabled HTTPS on all of our arcgis server sites and always register the HTTPS urls.  That is fine for ArcGIS Server deployments we manage/maintain, but we still have the issue for 3rd party server deployments that are outside of our control. 

In chrome there is a little obscure 'shield' icon that appears on the far right side of the URL.  If you click that then there may be an option to say 'load anyways'.  Review this link for chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1342714?hl=en

IE does a little better with alerting you that mixed content is being blocked.  It should ask something like 'are you sure you want to display secure content only'

Does that help?
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have there been any updates from Esri on this? In todays "the sky is falling" security environment, unchecking the "Require SSL" is not an option, yet we have a requirement to load non-SSL map services with our own SSL services. Likewise, telling users how to circumvent the "mixed content" warnings is not a good idea either. Certainly there must be some sort of proxy configuration that can act as a work-around? Can't imagine Esri put Portal 10.3.1 into production knowing this limitation.

0 Kudos
crisforu
Deactivated User
i am working for an Oil and Gas Company in Middle east.

i have configured portal for arcgis with Integrated Windows Authentication in one server and accessing Arcgis server (not federated and not configured web security) from another server. I am getting the below Error in Portal for arcgis while adding the map service.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33666[/ATTACH]

Please Refer the below error log file

Portal Log:
esri.gw.publish.AgsServicePublisher isHostedService
SEVERE: AgsServicePublisher wasn't correctly initialized. AgsServicePublisher.serviceBaseURLWithoutProtocol is empty.

I appreciate your quick response on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Prasad
0 Kudos