Can't Publish Hosted Feature Layer from .csv File.

02-18-2019 06:44 AM
EdmondGriffin
New Contributor

Hello,

I am a new user with an ArcGIS Online Creator subscription.  However, I know how to do most basic operations like creating maps and layers, searching for content etc. I am trying to complete an exercise in the ESRI ArcGIS Book on the Easter Rising in Ireland.  It includes a step where a layer is added from a .csv file.  When I try to add the prescribed .csv file as a layer I get an error that the file is too large.  The file size is 87 kB (tiny).  I am directed to "publish a hosted feature layer".  I did my research and understand what I should do, but when I upload the file to my content I see no check box to "Publish this file as a hosted layer".  There are endless articles about roles and privileges and administration but they are of no use.  I am the only user, member of my organization, administrator, etc.  I think I should already have all the privileges associated with my account.   Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ed

P.S. The entire purpose of buying my subscription is to work online.  I need a solution that does not require a local installation of ArcGIS.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderSt__John1
New Contributor

Same issue. I have the free public account, if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Public accounts cannot publish hosted feature services. Layers can only be added as feature collections or stored in the web map with public accounts. Feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Edmond Griffin‌, I'd suggest contacting support to look into the account, or verify the data source. If you are an administrator, you should have publishing privileges which would point to a potential data issue. 

-Kelly

0 Kudos