Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I delete ArcPro Shapefiles after they are published to ArcOnline

07-26-2024 05:04 AM
LaneDahl
Emerging Contributor

I am using ArcPro to build my layers using a shapefile. Then after the base shapefile is built I publish it to the portal. Here it is used by approximately 10 other people in field maps where they collect data on those files for me to then pull into my ArcPro/ArcOnline. It has become a great way to communicate what needs to be done and where. My question is number 1- is this a good way of accomplishing my goal or is there a smarter way. number 2- for every Hosted feature layer I have there is also the shapefile that is just sitting there idle. Can that shapefile be deleted?

I'm learning this on the fly so I'm sure there is better ways of doing things.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @LaneDahl ,

Yes, the shapefile can be deleted after it's published.  The data is copied to AGOL, and then a feature service is created, so there is no direct correlation between the two.

Instead of working with shapefiles, I would recommend using geodatabase feature classes.  Here is a good blog on the benefits.

0 Kudos
bbollin
Esri Contributor

Hi @LaneDahl, just wanted to note that although you can delete the source file that is uploaded when you publish a feature layer it's not usually recommended as this can cause problems if you try to overwrite the data later on.

0 Kudos