Boundary data shows as point - upload from UK census data

02-15-2017 04:04 AM
CallyaneDesroches
New Contributor

Hi all, 

I'm having trouble with showing boundaries on my map - they're showing up as points and the 'change styles' only offers different points or a heat map. 

My data comes from Home | ONS Geography Portal  where I downloaded Local Authority boundary map data. I have opened it in https://ons-inspire.esriuk.com/arcgis/rest/services/Administrative_Boundaries/Local_Authority_Distri...  where the data shows as a shape/outline/irregular polygon. I wanted to select only certain Local Authorities to show, so I downloaded the data, edited out the Local Authorities I didn't want and uploaded a csv file back. 

The uploaded data comes up as points, rather than polygons. The data contains latitudes, longitudes, area shape and area length (but the last two are not selected and will not allow me to select them).

Does anyone have any idea why the same data (same format, just fewer rows) is not coming up in boundaries but as points?

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Once you have done your edits, I would export it as a shapefile and then upload it (zip the shapefile first) into ArcGIS Online. I don't think CSV files work for polygons?

CallyaneDesroches
New Contributor

Thanks Tim - I'll give that a go.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Callyane,

If you are uploading a csv file for geocoding, the result will be points. If you are looking to locate polygon data from a csv file, upload the csv file as a table and then use the join tool to join the data to your polygon dataset:

Join Features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Let us know if you have questions,

-Kelly

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Will this use credits?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yes. This is a credit based tool that is charged at 1 credit per 1000 features. Spatial Analysis on this chart:

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits 

0 Kudos