Select to view content in your preferred language

Basic Concepts: ArcGIS8.x

07-21-2010 10:56 AM
michaeldaryabeygi
New Contributor
Hello,
Please let me know if there is a better forum for me to post this on.

I have a legacy application, that I think utilizes arcGIS 8.x. It is an (old) ASP web application that displays some data on a map of the US.

The data has not been updated in many years. There are data sets for 4 years, and also options to show the changes in data between years.

Our organization has lost it's copy of arcGIS.

My general concept question is, is it likely that we can load in new datasets, given that we don't have a working copy of arcGIS, or would an installed copy be necessary to generate new maps with the new data?

Thanks so much in advance for your help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I really can't recommend another forum to post this question. Most people who read these forums have working copies of ArcGIS Desktop and thus, probably don't have a lot of experience with trying to use and modify data without actually having the software.

You didn't mention what format your data is stored in. If it's stored in a geodatabase, you'll probably have a hard time trying to modify it. If it's shapefile data, you could try learning about the format yourself or looking for some shapefile editor.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to try to find your lost copy of ArcGIS 🙂 or find a friend with ArcGIS who will do the work for you.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos