BaseMaps

08-09-2018 01:36 AM
MaiTbaileh1
New Contributor II

i want to know if there is an option to show the basemaps in english language,and not to use the new option of esri for localization?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichelleHovorka
Esri Contributor

Hi,

The basemap gallery is set by your language.  So if your language is French, you will see the basemaps in French.  To view the basemaps in English, your language would need to be set to English.  If you are part of an Organization, the Admin can set up a custom basemap gallery using a group with the English language basemaps.

Michelle

ArcGIS Online Team

0 Kudos
MaiTbaileh1
New Contributor II

thank you very much for your answer.actually yes i am belonging to an organization and although the language is english  as the following image shows

but maybe due to location of the organization it appears in arabic language.i want to know how the administrator can set up custom basmap with english language ??from where can i find this option>

0 Kudos
MichelleHovorka
Esri Contributor

Hi Mai,

Looking at your screenshot above, you are setting the Org language to English.  This will control the default language for the anonymous visitor to your org page or for a member that doesn't have her language set.  The Esri default basemap gallery is set based on the language set in your user profile.

To set up a custom group to use as a basemap gallery, you would first need to create the group and add the basemaps that are in english.  Probably the easiest way to do this is to query on the ArcGIS Online Basemap group, owned by "esri_en": http://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=arcgis%20online%20basemaps%20AND%20owner%3A%20esri_en&start... .  Here's the group with all of the basemaps:  http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=1f3bd43413f14b219643db9ae040423c#overview.  Share these web maps to your custom basemap group and then, in Org Settings > Map > Basemap Gallery, set this group to be used in the gallery:

Here's the Help reference:  Configure map—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS