Select to view content in your preferred language

Attributes and Location Analysis Tool ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-26-2024 12:02 PM
Labels (1)
CameronWheelan
New Contributor

I am using the new Map Viewer analysis tool Find by Attributes and Location. I previously used this expression to run my analysis but can't figure out how to use the new tool in the new Map Viewer.

This is what was done previously 

CameronWheelan_0-1708977400006.png

This is what I have tried and don't get the same result

CameronWheelan_1-1708977456023.png

I have also tried this

CameronWheelan_2-1708977656598.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

@CameronWheelan Thanks so much for sharing the map!
Looks like the issue is that you need to turn on the "Include only the parts of features that meet the criteria" parameter.

AmandaRing_0-1709162243234.png

Once that is checked, the tool should work the same way as Derive New Locations in Map Viewer Classic; only the parts of the provinces and territories where the criteria is met will be returned in the output.

Leaving that parameter unchecked makes the tool behave like Find Existing Locations in Map Viewer Classic, where if some part of the province or territory meets the criteria, the entire feature is returned in the output.

Let me know if you're still seeing unexpected differences.

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

The key is that if each of the queries that apply to the same layer should all be at the same level of indentation.
Therefore, the first one you have looks right, though it's missing the distance value and units in the final operation.

Clicking on the button highlighted with A here will allow you to keep adding expressions that apply to your top level layer (Provinces and Territories of Canada) whereas clicking button B allows you to add nested expressions that refine the second layer (Plate Boundaries).

AmandaRing_0-1709062888579.png

Using this nested expression could be helpful for cases where say you wanted Provinces and Territories within 300 km of a plate boundary where that plate boundary was within 5 km of a recent earthquake. 

For your example, though, all your queries relate to the Provinces and Territories layer, so you would want to keep clicking the +Spatial expression at the bottom of the dialog. Your final query should look like:

AmandaRing_1-1709063030653.png

If you're still seeing differences in the result, would you be able to send me a webmap with the data you're using so I can try to compare differences?

Cheers,

Amanda
0 Kudos
CameronWheelan
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for responding. It did not produce the same result. EQ_Locations From New is from Map Viewer and CanadaEQ From Classic is from the Classic Map Viewer.

See link to map here

0 Kudos
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

@CameronWheelan Thanks so much for sharing the map!
Looks like the issue is that you need to turn on the "Include only the parts of features that meet the criteria" parameter.

AmandaRing_0-1709162243234.png

Once that is checked, the tool should work the same way as Derive New Locations in Map Viewer Classic; only the parts of the provinces and territories where the criteria is met will be returned in the output.

Leaving that parameter unchecked makes the tool behave like Find Existing Locations in Map Viewer Classic, where if some part of the province or territory meets the criteria, the entire feature is returned in the output.

Let me know if you're still seeing unexpected differences.

Amanda
0 Kudos
CameronWheelan
New Contributor

Many thanks! It worked.

0 Kudos