ArcGIS Online Labels

11-20-2013 05:10 AM
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
So I'm looking through the gallery of arcgis online water utility maps from other organizations...
How do you do labeling like this for your maps to post online?
I would like to label my water mains, streets and whatever like this, can anyone give me a clue or where to look? I'm working with a file geodatabase and not a server if that make a difference.
It would be greatly appreciated...
Tags (2)
42 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Don,

do you have an organizational account? If so you can upload your files as a feature service which also uploads labels. All you have to do is open an empty mxd, add your layer you want to upload, change the symbology and add labels, and then upload it through ArcGIS Desktop to your organizational content.

If you don't have an organizational account , try this and this.

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
DonPritt
Don,

do you have an organizational account? If so you can upload your files as a feature service which also uploads labels. All you have to do is open an empty mxd, add your layer you want to upload, change the symbology and add labels, and then upload it through ArcGIS Desktop to your organizational content.

If you don't have an organizational account , try this and this.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Yes, I have an organizational account, when I upload feature services, say a water main, my labels are turned on and visible within my mxd but not online when I add them to a map.
I also upload multiple layers at a time, in regards to water mains, the fittings, FH's, valves etc.. maybe I need to just upload one layer within my drawing and/or do I need to add lables as text over the mains instead of through the properties?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Don,

when uploading your feature services with labels you also need to check Tiled Mapping. This will consume credits but you will have labels. I should have clarified that.

Tim
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Be advised if you have a large amount of data over a wide area and you use tiled mapping it will chew up  LOT of credits.

Another option is to create annotation.

Then use Feature Outline Mask on the annotation.  It will create a new feature class from the annotation that you can then upload.  You will have to play around with it a few times to get the clearest result.

What I did for one of my  clients.  They needed to have the last 1, 2 or 3 digits of their customers id visible on ArcGIS online.  so I created symbols based on that.  Yes I had to manually make a lot of number, most of them were 1 or 2 digit.

I also created section centers as points and symbolized them as numbers.

Don,

when uploading your feature services with labels you also need to check Tiled Mapping. This will consume credits but you will have labels. I should have clarified that.

Tim
0 Kudos
DonPritt
Thanks, I'll play around with tiled mapping, I have a fairly large amount of credits available.
I think the annotations layer would work in small areas but our service area is quite large and would be to cumbersome labeling our entire water network.
0 Kudos
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks, I'll play around with tiled mapping, I have a fairly large amount of credits available.
I think the annotations layer would work in small areas but our service area is quite large and would be to cumbersome labeling our entire water network.

To reduce credit consumption, you can create a tile package (renders the tiles on your desktop) and upload that to ArcGIS Online.
Kevin
0 Kudos
WilliamRice
For labeling of ArcGIS Online Web Apps, another option is to add layers published as an ArcGIS REST Map Service.  For this option you organization would have to have an external server running ArcGIS for Server.  You would publish your map layers from your ArcMap map document to this external server and then add these map services to your AGOL web app.  Currently, it seems that one can only publish map layers as feature services to ArcGIS Online and cannot publish layers as Map Services to AGOL.
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
To reduce credit consumption, you can create a tile package (renders the tiles on your desktop) and upload that to ArcGIS Online.

This is only possible to do for layers that cover a relatively small geographical footprint.  For linear developments that span hundreds of kilometres the tile production is very large.  I have one simple route layer I'm trying to add KM markings to, but the tile package estimate is 100 GB.  Even if the generation of the package finishes successfully I have never been able to upload a tile pack larger than 2.5GB to ArcGIS Online.  There has to be a better solution, labels are a pretty basic feature that most users expect.
0 Kudos
DonPritt
There has to be a better solution, labels are a pretty basic feature that most users expect.

Still a major complaint from members in my organizational account...