ArcGIS online does't support secured WMS ?

10-10-2013 05:13 AM
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I'm trying to use a WMS service with ArcGIS online.
This is an HTTPS WMS service, with credentials (login / password). It's the service from the IGN (french institute of cartography).
URL is something like : https://wxs.ign.fr/XXX/geoportail/r/wms (where "XXX" is a private key).

ArcGIS online doesn't allow me to mark login/password when i'm creating the reference to the WMS webservice. When it's launched (layer added to a map), the map asks for credentials, wich is not what i want : when the map will be published, final users won't have to know such informations !

ArcGIS online does't support secured WMS ? Is there any way to make it works ?

Cheers,
Alexandre.

PS : please excuse mispellings, i'm not native english speaker
Tags (2)
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You are correct, ArcGIS Online doesn't support connecting to secured WMS services.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
Well, it's a bad news ...
Is there any chance ArcGIS online will support connecting to secured WMS services in a near future ?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No, unfortunately, there are no plans at this time to support it. You might promote the idea on ideas.arcgis.com.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
Thanks.
The idea already exists in fact : http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004F6gIAE
0 Kudos
ChristopherSchreiber
Occasional Contributor II

Here is what Esri's site says about secured OGC Layers.

Secure OGC services

OGC WMS and WMTS services secured with web-tier authentication, such as Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA), a public key infrastructure (PKI), Basic, or Digest access authentication, are supported. OGC WMS and WMTS services secured with token-based authentication are not supported. Configure support for OGC services secured with web-tier authentication by adding the server hosting the services to your organization’s list of trusted servers. The server must support CORS; otherwise, layers hosted on the server will not function as expected in ArcGIS Online. If you will access the secure OGC service with Internet Explorer, you may need to add the domain of your organization’s trusted servers to your browser’s trusted sites list.

Once the server has been added to the list of trusted servers, you can add your OGC services to the map viewer or as an item (WMS only). If authentication is necessary, users adding or viewing secured OGC layers will be prompted to enter their credentials.

Link: OGC—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Hope this helps!

Chris