ArcGIS Online - Data Copied to Server?

Jump to solution
04-30-2015 12:47 PM
MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I am testing publishing services to AGOS online to then be consumed by Geocortex.

When I run Analyze in the service editor I get the warning "Map is being published with data coped to the server using data frame full extent". My understanding is that it will copy the data to the server because it thinks that there is no data registered. However I do have an SDE database registered in Server, and of course this should in theory resolve this error.

So far in my search for an answer all i have gotten is to register the database - which I have done. Perhaps my ArcGIS Server account does not have the appropriate permissions to access the SQL Server database? However I have setup the Server account as a user in SQL.

Any Thoughts,

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

As Ben noted, the message you are receiving about the data being copied to the server using full extent is only a warning, and will not prevent your from publishing your data to ArcGIS Online.  Since you are publishing to ArcGIS Online, the data will be copied to ArcGIS Online and a service created.  As with ArcGIS Server, there will be a REST URL in which you can access this service in other applications.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Mike, are you still having an issue, if so, can you clarify your workflow, and software versions. The way I am reading this it appears you want to publish a feature service on your locally hosted ArcGIS Server, then perhaps you want to add that feature service to ArcGIS Online (AGOL)? Or do you want to publish directly to AGOL or not even use AGOL? Also, you can disregard the message about publishing at full extent, it's only a warning and not an error that will keep you from publishing a service. Doesn't mean you shouldn't fix it but it's not your real issue. Please let us know a little more about your workflow and issue and I'm sure the community will be able to help. Thanks 

MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,

I can see how my question is not very clear: think I may be confusing myself.

We are just in the early stages of taking our GIS online. Only internally at this point. We are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1, AGOL and Geocortex. We are currently working in and SDE environment.

First I need to understand wether I need to bring ArcGIS Server into the picture or not. The thinking at this stage is to publish to AGOL and then consume those services with Geocortex.

I leave it there for the moment - is that a little clearer?

THanks for the discussion,

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Mike,

As Ben noted, the message you are receiving about the data being copied to the server using full extent is only a warning, and will not prevent your from publishing your data to ArcGIS Online.  Since you are publishing to ArcGIS Online, the data will be copied to ArcGIS Online and a service created.  As with ArcGIS Server, there will be a REST URL in which you can access this service in other applications.

BenGrod

Mike,

Likewise I agree with Jake's comments below, he's a very good source and has helped me on many of my questions in the past.

It sounds like you need to decide whether you want your data to reside on AGOL (hosted by Esri) or continue to remain in your SDE and served out to AGOL through your local ArcGIS Server. There are lots of pros and cons to discuss between the two workflows and the discussion changes depending upon your version of ArcGIS, third party software, and your desired end use. One question I have about the end use is will you be publishing your data to the web just for viewing purposes or do you intend to edit?

MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,

The initial end use would be for viewing only. However I would like to get to the point where it would be setup for editing for our public works side of things.

0 Kudos
BenGrod

If it's just viewing then either platform will work. In the future, with editing, both platforms work but if you push your data to AGOL (hosted by Esri) there are not currently out of the box tools to synchronize those edits back to your SDE. So if you go with AGOL think of your data as residing up there, the good thing about AGOL is Esri will host your data, manage security, provide additional content, and everything works together very easily from web maps to mobile apps. On a side note, I don't know what kind of service Geocortex provides but you may want to ask them for their recommended architecture, it looks like they are a consultant(?) and will probably program their own web maps independent of AGOL. Hope this is helpful and good luck with project, please continue to bring your questions to GeoNet, it's a great community .

0 Kudos
MikeBly
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the helpful responses to this. I am thinking that because we would like to get to the point of createing workflows and allow the ability to edit the data from the Geocortex viewer, I would like to publish services to ArcGIS Server.

Issue right now is establishing a connection to the server from desktop to publish service directly to the server. This is where I am bit confused yet.

When I attempt to create a connection to a gis server via arcatalog using port 6080 I get a error for "proxy server got bad address". Have not figured out how to get this working.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would recommend creating a new thread for your ArcGIS Server issue and placing it in the ArcGIS for Server space.

BenGrod

Morning Mike, I agree with Jake that you should create a new discussion in the ArcGIS Server space for this new issue. If you write a descriptive title, provide details in the text, and tag it correctly you should get all the help you need from the community. I also agree that ArcGIS Server is your best route based on the use of a Geocortex Viewer, in this case you will probably not need AGOL in the picture at all. As for you ArcGIS Server issue, I can't really say what the problem is but someone else who has more expertise will know if you post a new thread. Good luck, I'll stay in touch and help out if I can.

0 Kudos