Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS.com Web Map Problems

Jump to solution
06-06-2012 07:52 AM
RichardSchulz
Deactivated User
I have three problems/questions concerning web maps that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  (I am submitting these questions for someone else, so please ignore any minor errors in the wording/terminology used.)

1. Sometimes when I open a web map I have created and saved, I get the following error message: "The layer, <layer name>, cannot be added to the map."  Then the layer is deleted from my web map and I have to add it back and reset all symbology, names, etc.  This has happened with several different layers, all of which were feature services created by uploading shapefiles to arcgis.com.  This error doesn't occur every time, just once in a while.

2. I am trying to use the configurable templates on arcgis.com, but after customizing the template, my changes are not saved.  The "Save" button changes appearance when clicked on, but nothing else happens (even after several minutes); and I have to use the browser back button to exit the template customizing page.

3. I successfully added the 'USA Topo' basemap to my web map (using "add as basemap"), and saved/shared it using the "embed in website" option.  But when I open the "embedded" version of the web map, the USA Topo basemap layer is not there.

Any suggestions for solving the above problems would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
PJNabors
Regular Contributor
Here is an interesting one where I used the Bookmark for Apalachia and then panned.  The selection outline is in the correct location, but the purple polygons did not catch up.
PJ
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Regular Contributor
And another with Douglas Lake by using the Bookmark then zooming in.
PJ
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Frequent Contributor
Here is an interesting one where I used the Bookmark for Apalachia and then panned.  The selection outline is in the correct location, but the purple polygons did not catch up.
PJ

I've seen this problem in our maps too.  When panning the features act like graphics and do not move with the map.  In cases where you have aerial imagery on top of another basemap it can be used like the Swipe tool from Arc desktop which is an unexpected bonus tool (see screenshot).  It's not ideal though, we don't want to see features or aerial imagery suspended above the map as it pans.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15750[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MarkCastenson1
Deactivated User
Kelly,

I have tried adding the URL parameters you mentioned below to the end of a web app I have created and I can not see our Basemaps. I created a new group and have 3 basemap web maps. I have added the following URL &basemapGroupOwner=mark.castenson&basemapGroupTitle='Linn%20County%20Basemaps' and when I click on the Basemaps dropdown in my web app, I see absolutely nothing. Am I missing something?
Here is the full URL:
http://linncounty-gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=e779373eb5604cbabac2...'

Thanks!
Mark

You can change the basemap choices when using the embedded map or Basic Viewer template but you'll have to append some url parameters to the url. To change the displayed basemaps you need to create an ArcGIS.com group that contains the basemaps you want to appear in the gallery. Once you've done this you can apply this information by adding the following parameters to your url. The basemapGroupOwner will be the owner of the new group you created and the basemapGroupTitle is the title.  

https://team.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=422dca2738b941cb8f5fd3f1b0109... &basemapGroupOwner=Kelly &basemapGroupTitle='Basic%20Viewer%20Basemaps'
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm guessing your basemaps in the basemaps group are not shared with the organization... They would need to be for people in the organization to be able to see them.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MarkCastenson1
Deactivated User
Mike,

The basemaps are shared with everyone in our group and every group.  Do I have the correct URL parameters?  The basemaps that I have are 'Web Maps', is this correct? 

Mark
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Mark,

If you make the Basemaps group and it's contents Public this should work as expected.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos