AGOL Minimalist Web App Side Panel Format

Jump to solution
02-10-2016 09:42 AM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

I created a web app to show some bus stop data and like the option to show the popup contents in the side panel.

One thing I don't like is that when the side panel opens to show data,   it moves the map to the right rather than 'flying over' the map.   Is there a way to have the map stay in place while the side panel moves over the map?

Thanks,

Mele

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Hi Mele,

There are literally hundreds of web app templates made by both Esri and others. You can find a gallery of featured templates here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html#c=esri&t=apps&o=modified&f=configurable

I am unsure what style/functionality you are looking for, but for projects like this I have always been fond of the Local Perspective app: Local Perspective

It has that minimalist feel you are looking for. The functionality is that you click on the map or enter an address and locate the features near that area within a set buffer (1 mile, 2 mile, etc.) This could be something interesting if a user only wants to locate bus stops near their location. Otherwise you could just set it to display all features and only highlight those within the buffer.

Really hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

It doesn't appear that you can do this in the configuration options provided.

In the html the side panel itself acts as an additional column within the display and its addition or subtraction affects the dimensions of the web map as there is no defined extent rather it conforms the window extent (which is optimal - I wouldn't change this by altering the code if you were considering it).

If I were you - I would select the option to have the panel open upon opening the web map. This way the panel would most likely remain open during the entirety of the app's use unless a user has the motivation to manually close it. This would keep the map the same dimension throughout the process.

MeleKoneya

Thanks Matthew.

I was afraid of this.    It looks like My Maps in Google can do this and I was hoping to replace some of the Google maps on our City's site with AGOL.   Is there another AGOL template that might do this?

0 Kudos
MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Hi Mele,

There are literally hundreds of web app templates made by both Esri and others. You can find a gallery of featured templates here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html#c=esri&t=apps&o=modified&f=configurable

I am unsure what style/functionality you are looking for, but for projects like this I have always been fond of the Local Perspective app: Local Perspective

It has that minimalist feel you are looking for. The functionality is that you click on the map or enter an address and locate the features near that area within a set buffer (1 mile, 2 mile, etc.) This could be something interesting if a user only wants to locate bus stops near their location. Otherwise you could just set it to display all features and only highlight those within the buffer.

Really hope this helps.

MeleKoneya

Very Cool stuff.  I like the local perspective app.

Looks like we can find something that will address our needs at the featured apps link too.

Mele

0 Kudos