AGOL Feature Service

07-19-2017 11:12 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

i will admit AGOL is not my best area right now...

i have a map in desktop (10.2.2) with 3 features: Addresses (gdb), Roads (gdb & shp), boundaries (shp)

the roads and boundaries do a pretty good job at displaying in AGOL (minus labeling issues) but the addresses are EXTREMELY slow to render in the map, sometimes never rendering. im not sure if there is something im missing that could help with the rendering time need for addresses or if its the fact that the addresses are from a gdb.

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SarojThapa1

How big is the gdb that contains Addresses?

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

addresses = 500mb

roads = 800mb

statewide dataset

dave

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

got a little trigger happy and didnt get to add this data...

addresses = 3,000,000 +

roads = 300,000 +

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
SarojThapa1

Dave,

Since the addresses and roads geodatabases have too many features,

1. You can filter the data by location. For example, for a particular location or extent, only the features that exist in that area will be rendered. When the map is zoomed to another area or extent, only the features existing in that particular area will be rendered.

2. Publish the feature layers in ArcGIS for Server and use the REST endpoints url for the roads and addresses feature layers in arcmap. This way the server will take care of loading data and hence your features load faster in arcgis online. 

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

Saroj,

i like option 1, is there any documentation for this process?

due to certain restrictions option 2 is not available at this time.

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
SarojThapa1

Dave,

Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

This document should help you with what you are trying to achieve.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Dave,

How are you using the layers? Are they in web maps, ArcMap, custom App? Who is interacting with the layers? you or the public?

Here are some blogs and questions that deal with which layer type to use based on your data and purpose. Keep in mind that when you are displaying data that is hosted as a feature service in ArcGIS Online, the data is represented based on server responses. If they are extremely large, they can take some time to process or render on the web.

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2017/06/30/who-would-win-matching-layer-types-to-common-workflows... 

Best Practices for using Tile Layers as Operational Layers | ArcGIS Blog 

Is there a limit to the number of features that can be displayed?

Should I increase the Max record Count?

Getting started with hosted feature layer views | ArcGIS Blog 

Let me know if you have questions,

-Kelly

DaveTenney

I was going to create a web app where a team of folks could view the data that resides in a virtual environment. This was being done in order to make the process of access the data a little easier for them and they would be able to identify and query information as needed.

thanks for the help

dave

0 Kudos