Adding a txt-file with coordinates

08-16-2011 05:53 AM
annahjdu
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I would like to upload a file with coordinates so I then can generate my own map. I have entered them into a txt file, with latitudes in one column and longitudes in another column separated with tab. When I try to add it it says: File does not seem to contain fields with point coordinates.
Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Aima
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Go to "Help" and type in "Adding an ASCII or text file table"
0 Kudos
annahjdu
New Contributor
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I managed to upload the file but don't know what to do with it next, how I can locate my coordinates on the map. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Here's a help file from ArcGIS Online.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/010q/010q00000060000000.htm

When adding CSV files, you need to have x,y coordinates stored in decimal degrees in order to add it to the map. Read the help topic referenced above for what to name the fields in your CSV (or .txt) file.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulLohr

The link no longer works, Mike.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Paul, here is an older blog post (2010) on the topic. Add data from a CSV file to any ArcGIS Online map | ArcGIS Blog

ANd some additional help on creating a feature service for a csv file.

CSV to Feature Service | ArcGIS for Developers

in case that is what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Paul,

I updated the link in my original post.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
when you get your table corrected, add it to the map, right click on it in the TOC and click "Display XY Data"
0 Kudos
annahjdu
New Contributor
Hi,

thanks Mike for your suggestions. I have managed to add it. I am using the ArcGis online though and there I do not have an option to Display the x,y data. Or at least by clicking on the arrow to the right of the layer name I cannot find this option. My data in the txt file is organized in two columns separated by tab. The first column is x with longitudes and the second is y with latitudes. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
0 Kudos