Adding a Raster Image to AGOL

01-10-2019 03:28 PM
nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to add a raster (.tif) to AGOL, and cannot figure out how to do this.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?  I see that I can add an image service, but I don't understand what that is.

Thanks for any help!

6 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Different types of data (2) like a Tif file can be added (1) to ArcGIS online directly. Adding a .tif file will create a item and it can be shared and downloaded as a single file. But note It won't be available to display in any Online maps. 

To have a Image be part of your maps online you can publish (3)  a Hosted Tile Service. You will need a Organizational subscription, not a public account,  to publish. An Organizational Account is available with the with the Free trial 

Before publishing your layer you will have to make sure your image is Georeferenced and showing up in the correct place in ArcGIS Pro (4) or ArcMap (5). 

Here is some Documentation to to support theses topics:

1) Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

2) What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

3) Publish hosted tile layers from files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

4) Overview of georeferencing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

5) Fundamentals of georeferencing a raster dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Adam for your response.  I was able to create a tile package and upload my imagery to AGOL.  However, the imagery is a soils map tif that I created using kriging, and I would like the imagery to carry the data with it so it can be queried in AGOL.  Currently it just shows up as an image with no query capability.  Is there another route I can take to make it so in AGOL? 

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi Natalie,

An ArcGIS online Hosted Tile Layer is a Cached Map Service without a query ability, Essentially is just a picture.  This functionality to query a raster is available for Image Service that are supported on  ArcGIS Server Image Server extension  The Configure pop-ups for imagery workflow here would then apply.

On this note, we don't have to step out of ArcGIS online to get the query going but it will take some more work. 

we can Enable pop-ups on hosted tile layersIf we have Features to accompany the data, i.e. a Hosted Feature Service 

Some of the additional work will be processing the Raster data into a Polygon so that it's lightweight for publishing as a Hosted Feature layer.

Having attributed Soil data may lend itself very well to the  Raster to Polygon—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop, I imagine If that output data is simple enough you might be able to publish it and utilize it in place of a tile layer altogether. 

0 Kudos
nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for this information.  I think you are right that converting the data to a polygon makes the most sense, because then the "zones" can be seen in the legend with information.  I am going to look into the Image Server, as I will hopefully have lots of drone imagery this year to put into the online maps.  I may submit my data to the ESRI support page you linked, because I created the tile package last night and it is still stuck at the same publishing levels.  This is actually the second time I have created the same tile package because the same thing happened a few days ago where the imagery was visible at the larger scales and only partially visible at the smaller scales (where it is more important to see the details) Three days later the percentages of completion were still the same (higher scales at 100% and lower scales at ~50%). 

Natalie 

0 Kudos
nataliemartinkus1
Occasional Contributor

I am also finding that AGOL doesnt publish all the tiles at all scales. When I am zoomed far out, I see the soils map for the entire field, but when I start zooming in, parts of the image go away because the tiles are only published at 50% complete, not 100% for the smaller scales.   I've tried selecting some of the smaller scale sizes to have them published (again?) but it ends up not doing anything.  Do you have any advice on this too?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

This may still be processing, I would give it some time and check back in with me here.

Something could also be wrong in the package or its creation workflow, It might be better to share all the these details and the source data with Esri Support and we can work on this together in more detail. 

Honestly, I find the tile package workflow is pretty clunky for me, personally, I always prefer publishing the map from Desktop and having ArcGIS online generate the tiles, Note the credit costs for Tile Generation in ArcGIS online. Last time I published a raster the size of a small city from levels 0 to 20 it cost me about 50 credits.

0 Kudos