Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding a basemap from ArcGIS online crashes my software

08-30-2013 05:54 AM
CraigEbersole
Deactivated User
On my PC for work, I'm running ArcGIS 10.1 with SP1 installed.  When I add the aerial photo basemap with transportation (the basemap that combines the World Imagery service, World Transportation, World Boundaries and Places) to any map I'm working on, ArcGIS crashes instantly.  In an attempt to troubleshoot I've tried the following: add the basemap to a blank document; add the basemap to a map in-progress; co-worker adds the basemap and I open the document later.  Those all result in ArcGIS crashing.  The closest I've come to successfully using it is having my co-worker add the basemap and turning off that layer prior to me opening the map document.  Under these circumstances I can open the document, but the moment I turn on the basemap layer, ArcGIS crashes.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.0 GHz), and 4 GB RAM (only 3.5 are available).  My co-worker is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 processor (2.66 GHz), and 8 GB RAM.  It is my understanding ArcGIS is a 32-bit application and can therefore utilize a maximum of 2 GB of RAM, and I thought that maybe the basemap was utilizing all 2 GB of ram which potentially would not allow sufficient memory to everything else on my computer; but I have tried all that I listed previously while ArcGIS was the only application running and it still crashed.

Does anyone have an idea about what's going on?  I'd like to get this resolved one way or another.  I'm trying everything I can before re-installing ArcGIS as I do not have immediate access to the installation discs.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
What you might try is disabling hardware acceleration within ArcMap.

Customize > Data View > Uncheck Enable hardware acceleration for supported layers.

You can also try updating your graphics card's driver to the latest version available.

Let me know if this helps,

- Daniel
0 Kudos
CraigEbersole
Deactivated User
Disabling hardware acceleration solved my problem.  Thank you!
0 Kudos