Select to view content in your preferred language

Accessing Features in a "Nested Layer" in ArcGIS Online using an Esri API - can it be done?

02-22-2023 10:53 AM
StevenHolmes
New Contributor

Hi all,

We have been using "nested layers" or "grouped layers" (I'm not sure if that's the official Esri nomenclature) for a while in ArcGIS Online and it has made our web maps much easier for the users as we can separate similar data that can be toggled on and off.  I have included a screen capture showing one such "nested layer" from a Content view point.

We have vendor (who won't be named) that is an Esri Business Partner who claims that accessing features in a "nested" / "group" layer is not supported by Esri APIs.  As such they are saying we need to "un-group" all of our layers so they appear as one long list in our web map so the vendor can access the data.  Our users, especially those who work in the field using mobile devices say this makes the vendor's product pretty much unusable.  BTW - the vendor has not problem viewing the different "nested" layers in their application.

The vendor claims Esri's APIs do support "nested layers" in ArcGIS Enterprise / Portal which surprises me a bit as I have always been told ArcGIS Online is in reality Portal.  I'm wondering if anyone else knows if the APIs can or cannot support "nested layers" in AGOL?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What you are showing is just a feature layer with multiple layers. Group Layers at this time are not a layer item and only exist in web maps and web scenes. When you add a multi layer item like this into Map Viewer we will automatically group it into a group layer and you can move layers into new group layers or have them in none. These groups layers are supported in apps built off of the 4.x JSAPI, Pro and latest runtime. Feature Layers are also supported across the various APIs. Without knowing where the app is having issues accessing the sub layers its hard to point to a solution.

0 Kudos