Select to view content in your preferred language

Simplifying Software Access via ArcGIS Online (Download CityEngine, Drone2Map etc.)

10-18-2023 01:08 AM
stgr
by
New Contributor II

Since 2020, it has been possible to download ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online. Many universities (I especially speak for Swiss universities), have to switch from the concurrent use licensing to the named user licensing in future (see the blog post here). A major benefit of this transition is that students can now use the software on their own devices.

It would be extremely beneficial if students could directly access and download any software from ArcGIS Online, without the need to obtain it from a central software center or to have a separate MyEsri login enabled for them to download software.

I strongly suggest adding a download button for all desktop software on ArcGIS Online. This would serve as a single point of access for students, making things simpler for them. This lowers the bar to try our software and helps to enable the students to do innovative work with ArcGIS. It would also reduce the workload for university administrators.

I would especially like to see easy access to all versions of CityEngine and Drone2Map.

3 Comments
PeterKnoop

Adding more software download links may cause other issues, if people only have access to the latest version, as it currently works for ArcGIS Pro. University users may need a specific version to match course materials, documented research workflows, or to stay in-line with collaborators. See a related Idea, Download other versions of ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online besides the latest release.

stgr
by

@PeterKnoop Surely, it would be important to consider to add an editable message which administrators could personalize for their organization. Maybe also put it in another place then the User Settings would be helpfull. Thanks for your support!

ardblenke

I'm managing a university license as well and I would like to have the matching data interoperability add on for ArcGIS Pro added. Its odd to be able to download ArcGIS Pro but not the extensions. 
Managing the downloads through AGOL seems very useful to me especially in educational environments where users change very frequently.
I would suggest to let the site administrator to decide which download should be available to users, where the assigned license should determine if its actually available to an end user.