Overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else in your organization from ArcGIS Pro

07-17-2015 07:17 AM
Charles-AndreRoy
New Contributor III
Privileges in ArcGIS Online should give more possibilities for data/map management like a way to "centralize" things that multiple users can update/manage. ArcGIS Online is good to share contents with other within the organization (for mapping), but it's lacking of functionalities for data. For instance, it's currently possible to "overwrite an hosted feature layers" that was added using ArcGIS Online. That can be done for web layer that you own, but you can also overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else (if role of the other user is set to Administrator).

Things that could be great:
- In addition to each user "My Content", should have a "My Organization Content" available to all (or through privileges/groups)
- Be able to overwrite content of another user from AGOL or ArcGIS Pro (through a My Organization Content or see other shared user folders/items)
36 Comments
EricAndersen1

Absolutely needed.

I know there is a workaround with Admins being able to either update or change ownership, but that is not a workable solution for many layers that need updating.

My hope was that by sharing the layer with a group that has shared update privileges, that would suffice.  No luck.  I think all Esri would need to do is to allow for that functionality - if a user is part of the group, any data shared with the group would be updateable by that user.

EricAndersen1_0-1660781828551.png

by Anonymous User

Hi @SusanTran ! So I tested out what you said. I am unable to find another member's web layer by name in either the Overwrite Web Layer browse dialog or the Catalog Pane if I search under My Groups and leave the search filter set to Content.

Overwrite Web Layer search Content under My Groups no results.JPGCatalog Pane search Content under My groups no results.JPG

I am able to search for the Group name under My Groups and then find the item. 

Overwrite Web Layer search under My Groups find group name then find item.JPGCatalog Pane My groups found Group Name.JPG

So how do I get it to find the item under My Groups if the search filter is set to Content? My ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 does not function anything like how this describes in the My Groups section. I see nothing if I leave it as Content under My Groups. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/available-online-resources.htm

Thanks.

AngelaSchirck

I realize this is an old thread, but this is something that ESRI MUST address.  I have moved to a different position in my department and need my replacement to be able to overwrite hosted layers I published.  I can make him the new owner, but then I won't be able to make changes when needed.  I propose a "co-ownership" option, where an administrator can add multiple owners to a layer that he/she deems necessary.

AndreaB_

following this again

AmaiaMartinez

@EricAndersen1 , I totally agree... for us it is causing a lot of issues and very annoying requests ending on administrators court.

Implementing this feature at 'Shared update cababilities' group context would fix it as long as mantaining Esri's features (if they want to block that intentionally), but adding us a door to bypass it.

Hope they include it ASAP in the roadmap! 😞

DeniseVachon

This is a major issue for my organization. This effectively keeps GIS staff from collaborating, and makes it very difficult when someone goes on vacation or is out sick.

If I could choose one improvement for ArcGIS Online as a whole, this would be it.