Map Stories (Share Items and Edit issues)

07-22-2015 11:57 AM
GeoNet
by
New Contributor III
I would like to suggest that the following changes be made to map story apps (e.g. Map Journal Builder) as appropriate:

1: Enable map stories which are only for limited sharing to be able to view any items which are themselves for limited sharing.  The facility for exclusive sharing of items for map stories Organization and Groups does not seem to be working.  Only items shared with 'Everyone' are visible.

2: Enable a quicker route to make alterations when editing Sections in map stories.  It would be useful to be able to see the existing URL at this stage.

3: In EDIT SECTION the Image/URL states 'An image should start with http//: end with .jpg or .png'.  This appears to be inaccurate because the URL for ArcGIS hosted images does in fact work, but does not end with .jpg or .png It would be useful to know if there are other exceptions.

4: Extend the range of choices for position of images and videos with respect to the Floating Panel to have an option which automatically adjusts so that all of the image or video is visible.
1 Comment
OwenGeo
Hi, here are some responses to your suggestions:

1. Sharing a Story Map to your Organization or a Group should work, but you need to also share the maps and layers in your story in the same way. If you share a story to your org using the Share button in the story map then the maps and layers will automatically be shared the same way. Sharing your story (and its maps and layers) to a group can only be done using the tools in My Content on ArcGIS.com at this time. The November 2015 release of ArcGIS Online brought updates to the Storytelling apps and you will now be notified of sharing errors when you open your Story Map and you can fix them using the tools in the Share dialog.

2. Can you provide a little more information about this? I'm not sure what you mean by quicker route or the URL that you referenced.

3. We can't document every exception, but when you click Next the URL you enter will be checked to see if it points to a valid image file. If it doesn't you'll get an error so you'll know immediately if the image will work in your Story Map or not.

4. When configuring images or videos the option to FIT will ensure that all of the media is visible.

Owen