Label Polygons Beyond the Centroid in New Map Viewer

05-23-2022 06:57 AM
MariaGiarrusso
New Contributor III

In Map Viewer Classic, polygon labels will redraw in the best location as you pan and zoom around the map.  However, in the new Map Viewer, polygon labels only draw at the polygon centroid.  If you pan away from the centroid, the label is out of view and not visible.

It is critical for many applications to be able to see the map label for all visible features in the map extent.  It is requested that ESRI , at a minimum, provide the same polygon labelling functionality that existed in Map Viewer Classic.   Thanks!

36 Comments
NormBetland

I didn't see this topic, so I started another thread. This is causing headaches for me and make several of my maps unusable for public consumption because it makes me look like my maps are inaccurate or that features are something that they aren't.

KaraUtter

@RussRoberts we haven't heard anything in about 6 months on this topic  - can we get an update? Agreed with @NormBetland in that the labels make our maps looks inaccurate which is why sometimes we have to leave labels off completely and that makes for a very poor map that isn't tell the story it is supposed to tell.

RussRoberts

Still waiting on API support at this time. When Norms post came through earlier in the week we attached it to our dev ticket. Currently some underlying changes are taking place that blocks getting this in so I cant say for sure it will roll out with the UC release.

ThomasHoman

@RussRoberts Since it's been 5 months since the last update are there any status updates you can share?

I just started a zoning map for the County this weekend and this oversight is a complete show stopper. We cannot have our constituents looking at data that suggests something different because the label cannot be put in the proper place. 

Thanks for anything that can be shared.

Regards,

Tom Homan

Gila County GIS

RussRoberts

There has been another thread with updates posted but we do have plans to have the placement update this coming release. If you have sample maps you can share I can check them against what we are developing.

ThomasHoman

@RussRoberts Sure.

Quick Map - https://gilacountyaz.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=cac520ba0a5c46bbba571be77d0201d7

Data - https://services1.arcgis.com/PEZ16KoOWXoETFQ5/arcgis/rest/services/GilaCountyZoning_view/FeatureServ... 

Look for OID's: 111, 317, 606, 888, 1646 That plot outside of the polygon. For ease I created a highlight layer with these OID's

Regards,

Tom

RussRoberts

Thanks! Quick compare of what is in the works. Hopefully we will be able to get it out for this upcoming fall release. 

RussRoberts_0-1694525962428.png

TanGnar

It would be awesome to have this in the upcoming release. 

BrianFausel

Hi @RussRoberts, we also have a zoning + future land use app example being developed in Experience Builder with the new web map behind the scenes. In our app we are hoping to see an update where the label of the future land use and zoning always appears on screen no matter what zoom scale the user is at. Does the forthcoming update include this?

On the map below when you zoom in you'll notice that the purple future land use labels appear static in the centroid, and if the user is not looking at the centroid the label does not appear. Admittedly another issue impacting the display are the address number labels at some scales. But if you zoom in really close to a parcel view the future land use label rarely appears even though there is room for it.

Here is a link to the app that is in development:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/195f09675702436ab78b6cc033c72e07/page/Public-Map-Viewer/?vi...

And the web map:

https://newberlin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=24fb98cab5564be7b3faab2543cdb3e8

Thanks!

MichaelKamin

Having same issues as others in that the static nature of polygon labels at present makes our data unpresentable to users. Do we have any kind of timeline for dynamic labels that will draw properly when zoomed in?