Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you convert the new map viewer to custom web app?

09-12-2023 05:00 PM
David-Semitekol
Regular Contributor

How do you convert the new map viewer to a custom web app?  We use custom web apps all the time to distribute maps and information.  It would be a huge loss if we can't do that anymore.

5 Comments
BernSzukalski

You cannot "convert" Map Viewer to a custom app, but you can easily turn the map you have authored and saved in Map Viewer to an Instant App, Experience Builder app, Story, or other choices. From your map item, click Create Web App:

BernSzukalski_0-1694564367271.png

Or, from Map Viewer, click Create app from the Contents (dark) toolbar:

BernSzukalski_1-1694564429776.png

David-Semitekol

Thanks Bern!  I'm finally forcing myself to learn the new map viewer.  I've been custom coding pop-ups for years with the old map viewer, but it looks like the new one is ready to accept HTML for that customized look and feel that we require in our maps and apps.

The new viewer is different, but it is time to adapt and improve 🙂

Do you know what version of HTML the new map viewer is using?  The old map viewer was limited but I'm excited to see how much HTML we can now inject into the popup.

BernSzukalski

Yes the new Map Viewer is quite different, but also has lots of interesting capabilities from Arcade, to effects, to new styles, and much more that I think you will appreciate. And besides, it is the way forward...

We restrict certain HTML for security reasons, but what you used to do in Classic should move over - though with some caveats you might need to work around. In general, you will not find any additional flexibility with HTML, but the basics are supported and if you really want to do advanced things I'd recommend checking out Arcade. 

Pop-ups: text element essentials is basic intro to text elements and includes HTML examples. Pop-ups: the essential covers everything from the top-down. Pop-ups: Arcade essentials is a good intro to Arcade in pop-ups, and you'll find more advanced examples in Enhance your pop-ups using Arcade and Living Atlas.

The new Map Viewer pop-ups will work just fine in any of the 4.x apps and app builders, which include Instant Apps, Experience Builder, Dashboards... 

David-Semitekol

Thanks again Bern!  I can't wait to see what I can come up with in the new map viewer.  I just created a new map and new app experience this morning, definitely a cleaner and improved viewing experience!  And good news, all of my original HTML "tricks" transferred over perfectly.

BernSzukalski

I'm glad that things worked out and that you've found Map Viewer happiness. And also about your HTML "tricks." When I made the jump from Classic with HTML in pop-ups, the only thing I had to change were some reserved words that I used that the new Map Viewer was more strict on enforcing. Let me know if you have other issues or confusion points, I'm always looking for good ideas for future blog articles.