Select to view content in your preferred language

Export function not working for files above 1 GB

03-08-2024 07:28 AM
DalilaMessaoudi
New Contributor II

My company experiences some unusual problems with the export function.

We think there might be a limit for the exportation of feature layers from Arc GIS Online.

When we click export for small layers (around 500 Megabyte MB) it works, the export is a filled Geodatabase. However when we want to export a layer that is bigger in storage space (around 1 or 2 GigaByte GB (1000 MB), it will create an empty Geodatabase in Arc Gis Online.

It copies the layerinformation about of the exported layer, however not the data in it.

It also gives an error, however it still creates an empty Geodatabase in My Contents with a storage of 2 GB.

Is there an export limit for big feature layers?

And can it be changed to a higher limit (around 3 or 5 GB)?

Then we can back-up our data easier and don't have to work with several work arounds to create a back-up.

1 Comment
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor

I have come across the same issue myself where I was export/publish a feature class of roughly 895 MB size from Pro to AGOL and it just stalls/hangs. I also tried compressing the geodatabase, uploaded it to AGOL and tried extracting the feature class but it failed again. I have been told that an alternative could be to register/export the dataset to your server and publish/export the dataset to enterprise/portal.