Select to view content in your preferred language

Choose which pop-up fields can be edited

12-28-2022 01:11 PM
BarrettLewis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, another request for a basic feature from the classic map viewer that is still not available in the new map viewer: I regularly need to send out maps to clients with only a field or two of the attribute data enabled for editing. In the new map viewer, there is no way to select which fields that can allow editing or not--it is all or nothing. This very basic feature is the only thing preventing me from switching to the new map viewer. This shouldn't be hard to introduce seeing as how it has been a feature of the classic map viewer for some time.

In general the new map viewer really needs to be brought up to parity with the classic map viewer in terms of features. I don't know why ESRI is pushing the new viewer so hard when it simply doesn't have the same capabilities as the old viewer, and from what I can tell it hasn't had any updates in a while. More work needs to be done on this before I, and likely others, can fully adopt the new map viewer.

2 Comments
RussRoberts

We no longer drive the editing experience through the popup authoring. You have more control through the form authoring experience. Check out this blog to learn how you can author your form for editing. This form is then honored in the editor widget, field maps and other latest apps.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/smart-forms-arent-just-for-field-map...

@BarrettLewis1 what other features are you seeing that are missing?

@Anonymous User WAB will not work with the latest features. The WAB is built on 3.x JSAPI just like map viewer classic and we are not back porting new features in the 4.x JSAPI to 3.x. Using instant apps and experience builder for instance will support these latest features. What features are you missing in those apps and I also recommend posting those requests in the Experience Builder forum to track requests.

PaulLohr

BarrettLewis1: it sounds like you have found the solution which avoids the new system of Forms. Open the map in MapViewer Classic, choose which fields are to be editable in the pop-up configuration, save the map. When re-opening the map in the new MapViewer, watch for layer ordering that had gotten shifted around by MapViewer Classic. After saving in MapViewer Classic, I have had to come back to the new MapViewer, put the layer ordering back to the way it was then save again.