Better metadata support for ArcGIS Online-hosted Open Data sites

09-30-2014 09:14 AM
JamesVaughan
New Contributor II
There needs to be a way to post metadata files for download on AGOL hosted Open Data sites.  (And as of ArcGIS 10.x, that means xml files.)  

It is true that you get some metadata when you download a shapefile from the Open Data site.  However, when I tried this on my site, all of the explanations for coded attribute values, which I had so laboriously typed in, were missing.  Anyone else who downloads my data will not know, for example, that '1' means an elementary school, '2' means a middle school, etc.  

The actual values of the coded attributes are established by the upstream scalar database that is the source of my spatial data, and I have to retain them.  Thus, explanations of the attributes' meanings are vital to anyone using my data.  The classic solution to this issue is detailed metadata.
2 Comments
by Anonymous User

Yes please - we would also like a 'friendly' meta data page in addition to the generic REST page. The REST page will be intimidating and not understandable by the general public. Perhaps it can be the default but there can be an assistant or wizard that helps us create a more friendly page like you mention James, with domains and values described in plain language.

by Anonymous User

Is it possible to download a dataset from AGOL with the text values instead of the coded values?