ArcGIS Online Content list - increase default "Items per page" from 20 to at least 100

04-06-2022 10:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When viewing the Content list in ArcGIS Online, the default number of "Items per page" is only 20. If one is doing repeated work on many layers, this limit is annoying and adds substantial time overhead. For example, if I am working with 70 layers, which I want displayed alphabetically, I must select "100" from the "Items per page" drop-down list, and then sort alphabetically. This is no big deal for occasional use, but when I'm doing this hundreds of times a day, it's a huge drag. Speaking as a web designer in the age of high-speed internet, there is no reason to so drastically limit the number of items displayed because loading time isn't an issue. 20 years ago we had to limit listings because of load time, but no longer. Quick fix: make the default at least 100 items. Better fix: give users the ability to save a preference for a) number of items listed and b) alphabetical or modification date sort, etc.

7 Comments
KenBuja

A settings page for all these preferences would be a great addition

DougFenske

I am working with Enterprise Portal and I have the same request. Thank you, @Anonymous User , for posting this! @KenBuja you have a great idea there, too.

GarethBaker1

This would be a really useful feature and save a lot of time.

MappyIan

I completely agree with this idea.  I'm amazed it's not been suggested before.  It's soooooo annoying having to either scroll through pages of lists or change the number of items displayed using the drop down.  It's also really annoying that if you change the number of items displayed using the drop down from 20 to 100, the next time you visit the page it doesn't remember you set it to 100 and have to change it again.  Aaaaargh.

PeterKnoop

Having to work in areas with very limited Internet bandwidth, I do occasionally appreciate the limit of 20. I would, however, like to see it remember what I choose to set it to across sessions and devices, rather than always being reset to 20. 

MeowMap

Yes, please

PeterKnoop

It is also frustrating, when you are using a large, high resolution monitor, that the page has a bunch of blank space after the last item, and that the drop-down to change items-per-page is off the bottom of the screen, so that you have to scroll down to it.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 090406.pngScreenshot 2024-02-20 090546.png