Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Ability for Admins to Release Checked-out Licenses

12-07-2023 11:32 AM
BethanyHodge
New Contributor III

For organizations that assign ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses via ArcGIS Online, allow the administrator of the organization to release a checked-out license (similar to Portal functionality) and/or add the ability to assign a time-limit for having licenses offline. Currently, there is no way for an admin to override a checked-out license and licenses must be checked-in to delete a member. We've run into issues where a member configures their license to work offline and forgets to check-in their license. Our AGOL organization is configured for SAML login. When a user with a disconnected license leaves our organization for whatever reason (job change, etc.), they no longer have the ability to sign-in to the computer from which the license was checked out. So, there is no way to recover that license or delete that member.

5 Comments
MattReeves_SpokaneValley

There is an 'End session' under the Licenses tab (for Admins). Would that accomplish what you are trying to do?

MattReeves_SpokaneValley_0-1701977813302.png

BethanyHodge

That's a really good thought, thank you, but the end session option seems to only be available if the license is online. I need a way to revoke an offline license. 

MattReeves_SpokaneValley

Well Shoot! Good luck catching momentum with your Idea. 

DavidWheelock2

We've got a user with a license checked out.  She doesn't even know how it happened.  She got a new computer that was reimaged with the license still checked out.  Now it won't let her check out Pro from ArcGIS online. 

You mean there's no way for an admin to return a license?

BethanyHodge

Sorry for the delayed response. No, not to my knowledge in AGOL. What I've been told is that you need to contact Esri to have the user's license reset and this can only be performed by Esri. We've run into this issue when computers are reimaged, crash, or have the computer name changed while a license is checked out.