Service area is not calculating minutes in Time mode.

02-10-2022 11:07 AM
Labels (1)
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcPro 2.9 and trying to determine a 4-minute service area for fire departments. It will calculate distance fine, but as soon as I calculate in Time mode, I get service areas that are tiny. Could it be a connectivity issue with the edges? 

RachaelMurtaugh_0-1644519993620.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

If the Service Areas look reasonable when you're optimizing for distance, my guess is your network connectivity is fine. If you had a connectivity problem, distance-based analyses would also look incorrect.

Rather, it's more likely there is a problem with the way your Time impedance attribute is configured. You should take a look at the cost attribute. Do the units agree with whatever field you're drawing from, if you're using a field evaluator?  How the evaluators are configured, and does it seem correct?

0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

I have the Time Cost as minutes and it using a field in the attribute table called Minutes which is calculated already. But in the attribute table it is a Float. Could this be the issue? 

RachaelMurtaugh_0-1644604435150.pngRachaelMurtaugh_1-1644604459538.png

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Your field evaluator setup looks fine. However, I notice you have a 2-minute delay for every turn configured under the Turns <default> evaluator. My guess is this is what's slowing everything down. Basically any time the traveler transitions from one street segment to another, they incur a 2-minute delay.

RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

I changed the turn to 0 and now this is what I'm getting. 😞 I can't figure out why it's not calculating time. I've also tried making a new field in the attribute table that is a Double not a Float and recalculating minutes. I've made sure I am using the correct attribute field. 

RachaelMurtaugh_0-1644606224450.png

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

From your screenshot, it looks like the yellow polygon has a Cutoff of 0, which doesn't really make sense and doesn't seem to match what's on the screen. What are the Cutoff values configured in the Service Area layer ribbon?

If you continue to struggle, you might need to call Esri Support to get some help. They can walk you through the correct procedure and debug whatever is wrong with your network.

0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

That's what suprised me. I have the cutoff of 4 minutes, but it's showing a cutoff of 0 in the contents page and just going all the way out to the network boundary. I agree. Esri Support may need to be called. Thank you. 

The turn delay was an issue though. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

So I got it to work once. I think the area highlighted here is the key. I don't know what I did to make this clickable, but when I did and selected time, it worked. The catch is I can't get it highlighted again to redo the analysis with a different time. 

RachaelMurtaugh_0-1644614502736.png

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The "min" symbol there is merely informative. It tells you that the impedance units of the selected travel mode are in Minutes. The travel mode you have selected right now is called "FireTruckTime". To make this work as intended, your travel mode should be configured to use your Minutes impedance attribute that you were working on earlier.

0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

The "E" symbol below the "Min" was selectable once and I was able to choose minutes. Then it ran. But now, I can't select it. I'm calling it for the week and will call ESRI on Monday. 

0 Kudos