Service Area Analysis Layer - Facilities

08-08-2013 06:56 AM
MiguelGarcia
New Contributor
I have created a Service Area Analysis layer and have loaded fire stations as network locations under the Facilities feature class. I need help now in generating the service areas with specific polygon break values of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 minutes from each facility. I tried to input the values in the properties of the service area and within the Breaks_Minutes field within the Facilities feature class, but do not see the polygon being generated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
What network dataset are you using? Can you use it to create any service area polygons, say a 3 minute from any location on the map? Do you get any warnings or error messages? You may have to turn on All messages on the NA toolbar options. Or use the GP Solve tool to see these messages in the GP results window.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MiguelGarcia
New Contributor
I created a Network Dataset and use our Centerline feature class. I brought in the Networked Dataset into arcMap and created a Service area which created the six classes, all of which are empty except for the Facilities feature class, which I managed to load the three fire stations within our city limits. I have gone into the Properties of the Service Area Group Layer and updated the Polygon Generation and updated the Impedence to Minutes and the Default Breaks to show  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 within the Analysis Settings, but nothing happens when I apply the settings.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
How have you verified that your network dataset has been created and built correctly? Have you tried solving a route to see if you can route on it? At a minimum, use the network identify tool (second icon from right on the NA toolbar) and click on an edge of the network dataset and see if that edge is connected to neighboring edges and that the impedance attributes have valid values in them. If the network dataset is not set up correctly then you will not be able to route or create service areas on it.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
This might be a dumb question, but did you click the "Solve" button after you changed the Service Area properties?  Nothing will happen if you just change the properties.  You have to click Solve on the Network Analyst toolbar.
0 Kudos