Regulatory stops in Network Analyst (ArcGIS Server)

10-17-2017 06:01 AM
RaulJimenez1
New Contributor II

First of all I would like to say that I'm not an expert in this domain, so please forgive me if I don't express myself properly.

I would like to know if it is possible to consider regulary stops when I'm running a network analysis in ArcGIS Server.

For example in Spain truck drivers have some driving times limitations:

- Continued driving: until 4:30h, then they need to do a mandatory stop of 45min

- Daily driving: 9h + 10h twice per week

- Weekly driving: 56h

- etc.

I would like to do this to be more precise estimating the delivery time.

I'm pretty sure this is not possible though the REST API but I guess that it might be possible though ArcGIS Server.

Thanks in advance,

Raul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hello Raul,

I don't think there's enough information to tell you if network analyst can solve your specific situation.  For example are you solving one route at a time or solving for a fleet of vehicles?  Some thoughts based on what you described:  network analyst is not designed to support periodic routing, but workflows can be configured & customized to support this.  The VRP solver has max total travel times, and also models breaks.

Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Thanks Scott!, sorry I didn't see your message before (maybe some filter I have in my inbox).

I have just asked the developer interested on this to reply to your message but I think it is for one route at a time, but I guess the max total travel time could solve their issue .

Which is the primary source of information you would recommend us to read/see to better understand what is possible and what is not? (any video?). One more question, does network analyst for ArcGIS Analyst for Desktop and for Server have the same capabilities?

Thanks in advance and sorry one more time for my ignorance ^_^''

0 Kudos
JesúsSantín
New Contributor
Hi!
Scott, thanks you for your answer. Indeed, as Raúl comments, the calculation we need is for a single vehicle, in fact we have even the order of stops pre-established.

We plan to make an initial calculation that includes daily and weekly rest using the break parameter you mentioned. Later, when the vehicle begins the journey, we plan to perform periodic calculations (for example, every 60 minutes) to recalculate the ETA. To have a good result, we must take into account the previous driving time, so we think about keeping a record of this.

We would appreciate if you could value this possibility or share some good practices, or even suggest a different approach to this issue. It would be very helpful for us, thanks in advance!
Jesús Santín
0 Kudos