Publilshing/Republishing Network Dataset

Jump to solution
04-30-2015 05:20 PM
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

When you publish a Network Dataset for a routing service to ArcGIS Server, do you need the Feature Dataset (and associated Feature Class(es)) or can you just put the XXX_ND and associated file up on the Server?

When you rebuild that _ND with more current data, can you just stop your NAService and copy the newer data over your data or does this require republishing to the ArcServer?  I imagine republishing is the safer way to go but....

We overwrite a lot of file geodatabases with current data on our Servers where we have map services pointing to the gdbs with very few problems as long as we stop and restart the map services correctly.

Just curious if Network Datasets and published NAServices are as flexible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenGrod

Hi Paul,

I can't answer your question about republishing a network dataset but I can shed some light on the first question. When you publish a network dataset all you need to do is add the network dataset (XXX_ND) to the map (not associated features) then through the Network Analyst toolbar create a New Route. Once the Route is added to the map you can remove all other map contents. Finally, publish your map to your server and select Network Analysis in the Capabilities. This will publish a routing map service. An optional selection is whether to register the folder or database which the routing features exist with ArcGISserver or copy the contents to the server. I chose to copy the contents to the server and rewrite when changes occur. I would be interested to know what the results are if you register the FGDB with the server and edit the contents/rebuild the network, it seems like it would update. But potentially be broken after edits have been made and before rebuilding the network. Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Route.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BenGrod

Hi Paul,

I can't answer your question about republishing a network dataset but I can shed some light on the first question. When you publish a network dataset all you need to do is add the network dataset (XXX_ND) to the map (not associated features) then through the Network Analyst toolbar create a New Route. Once the Route is added to the map you can remove all other map contents. Finally, publish your map to your server and select Network Analysis in the Capabilities. This will publish a routing map service. An optional selection is whether to register the folder or database which the routing features exist with ArcGISserver or copy the contents to the server. I chose to copy the contents to the server and rewrite when changes occur. I would be interested to know what the results are if you register the FGDB with the server and edit the contents/rebuild the network, it seems like it would update. But potentially be broken after edits have been made and before rebuilding the network. Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Route.png