Problem with Network Analyst Route Layer

Jump to solution
12-03-2021 08:04 AM
MM111
by
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I am trying to map out routes in NYC using GTFS Public Transportation Data. I used the ArcGIS Pro Tutorial to create the Network Dataset, but when I am creating route layers, they do not seem to be following the available public transportation routes. I have attached a screenshot- the colored lines are the results of GTFS Shapes to Features from all the GTFS layers I used to build the network dataset (buses, subways, and ferries), and the purple line is the route between points 1 and 2 (created using create route layer, add locations, and solve- screenshot attached of the settings). It does not appear to be following any available public transit routes. I'm not sure if this is an issue with how I set up the Network Dataset, or if it is an issue with how I am running the Route tool. I also wonder if there is an issue with how the Network deals with travelers walking under the expressway overpass (the darker green line directly to the right of stop #1) in order to reach the major subway lines that are on the other side of the overpass (red/orange/yellow lines to the right) which is a commonly used route in reality, and if there would be any way to resolve that. 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.51.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.55.08 AM.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Aha! The clue is in your screenshot of the Route analysis ribbon. Under Date and Time, it's set to "Not Using Time". In order for the public transit to be used, you have to set a day/date and time. Otherwise, it will ignore the public transit, since it doesn't know how to look up the schedule when no time is specified.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Aha! The clue is in your screenshot of the Route analysis ribbon. Under Date and Time, it's set to "Not Using Time". In order for the public transit to be used, you have to set a day/date and time. Otherwise, it will ignore the public transit, since it doesn't know how to look up the schedule when no time is specified.

0 Kudos
MM111
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for your quick reply! Makes a lot of sense. When I re-run the tool using a Date/Time, it now is following public transit (thank you!!) but it still doesn't seem to be following the fastest routes (I've been comparing the results to the top few paths recommended in Google Maps). I'm not sure whether that has to do with the overpass issue mentioned above, or perhaps some other issue with my network. Would you happen to have any advice about that aspect?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I guess it's possible the overpass/underpass issue is affecting things, although it's hard to say without seeing how your network dataset is configured. Are you able to post your network dataset? I could take a look.

0 Kudos
MM111
by
New Contributor III

Sure! Let me know if you need to see something different.Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.51.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.51.48 AM.png

0 Kudos
MM111
by
New Contributor III

With the route (which now follows public transportation, but is not the fastest)

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.55.10 AM.png

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

It's hard to say from those screenshots. I meant post your actual data so I could download it and play with it, but if that's not possible, I completely understand. You could also contact Esri Support to share it securely with an Esri expert.

In general, there are a couple of reasons why you might see routes that appear incorrect:

• Our solvers choose whatever options minimize travel time, even under some circumstances when these are not super realistic for a traveler. For example, if the fastest route is to walk for an hour and then ride for 10 minutes because that saves you one minute on your journey compared to walking for 11 minutes and riding for an hour, that's what it will tell you to do.
  • Maybe the time of day and day/date you chose for testing aren't good. Make sure you have reviewed your input data so you know whether you can use a generic weekday or need to use a specific date, and, if you're using a specific date, that you're using a date when all the service is actually running.
  • Your streets could have some connectivity problem. You can review the early parts of the tutorial where you examine your street data for some possible reasons why there might be a problem.
  • Maybe you got a bunch of build errors when you ran Build Network that you didn't address?
0 Kudos
MM111
by
New Contributor III

Ah, makes much more sense. I am having trouble uploading since even when zipping the geodatabase it exceeds the maximum size limit. I will go ahead and try your suggestions above and try and get in touch with ESRI technical support. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

not the same scenario, but any idea what might be wrong with my Route Layer? The red road segment is now closed so I've moved my stops around to prevent the route from driving over that segment. I saved my edits, clicked the run button and receive a bunch of failure message. 

SHartholt_0-1678381559897.png

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you running ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0?  That looks like an issue that was fixed in the 3.0.1 patch, so you should update your software. 

0 Kudos