Network dataset for future transit lines

12-02-2022 03:18 PM
Sleetch
New Contributor

Hi there, I was able to create and use a network dataset based on GTFS data from my local public transit provider by following the tutorial here. 

However, the service coverage analysis that I am able to do with this dataset would only be based on existing transit routes and service. If the city plans to introduce new rail/bus routes and I have the shapefiles for those - the lines, the stops - is it possible for me to introduce these non-GTFS data into the public transit network data set so that the service coverage analysis can also take into account the future transit lines and stops?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

If the only thing you have is shapefiles of bus stops and lines, then no, not really.  A GTFS dataset contains a lot more information than the stops and lines.  It also includes all the schedules, and you would need all that schedule information as well.

If the city can provide you with an updated GTFS dataset that includes the changes, then that's definitely the easiest way.

Your only other option is to attempt to manually edit or create the public transit data model tables associated with the updates.  You would need to be pretty meticulous about getting all the new data to relate properly in the data model tables.  Here is the documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/transit-data-model.htm

0 Kudos