We have had a transportation network dataset running for some time now until an upgrade to 10.5. Now, calculating a route works as expected but, when attempting to get directions, ArcMap crashes instantly. We also have a routing service in Server that is also failing and I can only assume the same thing is happening. UPDATE: On the client side, I have set returnDirections to false and the routing works fine...something in the directions is crashing it...
Nothing has changed with the dataset that we are using and I have stopped, restarted, recreated the datasets with the same results...ArcMap crash or Server error.
Any help would be great!
Can you give us some more details about your data? Ex. any turn feature classes? using the Global Turn Delays? Multimodal? Is the network dataset status Built? Any other little things you can think of? Has the directions.xml or resources.xml files from <Arcgis Install Dir>\NetworkAnalyst\Directions> been modified?
When you say that routing service on Server fails, how does it fail? Does it generate an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error?
When you upgraded to 10.5, did you upgrade ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Enterprise (formerly ArcGIS for Server) or just Desktop? How was the upgrade done?
The answers to those questions should hopefully give us a starting place to figure out what is going on with the directions.
No turn feature classes are being used. Not multimodal. Network is built. We are using the same data set/schema for our roads as before and the xml files were never manually modified.
If I set returnDirections to false in the client applications the routing works fine...it will fail if it is set to true. If I attempt to retrieve directions in a Desktop session ArcMap crashes immediately and displays the ESRI send error report dialog.
The routing service on Server fails and returns:
Error executing solve route at Object.g.load
to the client.
I upgraded 2 machines that show the same behavior and both Desktop and Server were upgraded.
This looks like it might be a complicated issue, which I think may be related to a known bug. There are several other things I'd want to check to confirm that. If you have maintenance, would you log a tech support case? We'll be able to provide more in-depth help for you through that.
If you do not have maintenance, can you grab one of the dmp files for these crashes from <C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports> and upload it? I can compare it to a known issue and see if it's the same problem.
Hi Rachel...I can log a bug in myESRI.
Any word on this? We are also experiencing server crash when asking for directions. But without directions network solve route works.
"message": "Error executing solve route",
There is a bug and, according to ESRI, is supposed to be fixed in 10.5.1.
This might be related to BUG-000104347. It is recommended that you follow-up the status of the bug and the workarounds.
Yes, I confirmed with Michael that it was BUG-000104347.
Also, I have been able to confirm that the cause of the bug are Date type fields. If there are Date type fields in a network source, then Directions will crash in ArcMap 10.5.
The potential workaround would be to use a Double field type to store dates as OLE date time values or or to use an Integer to store date as Unix time values. Or the Date fields could be removed entirely. Whichever works best.
Solved in ArcGIS 10.5.1!