Delete Identical does not work with SP4

03-21-2012 09:12 AM
RobertSmith2
New Contributor
First post on this forum, and I am new to the ArcGIS products, so keep that in mind with this post...

I created a set of lines within a feature class using network analyst.  To keep this post short, the way in which I did this, the analysis created duplicate lines.  I'd like to delete the duplicates, which have the same line lengths.  When running Delete Identical (with SP4 installed), not all duplicates are deleted.  Does any user or admin of the forum have any info on how to make this work?  I do have a work-around using excel, but it will add significant amount of time to what I'm doing.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Cheers,

Bob Smith
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottWhittington
New Contributor III
Bob,

I don't think it is an issue of SP 4, I just ran the tool on SP4 and all identical lines are deleted.  What field are you using to compare identical?  Are the values compleatly identical that are not being deleted.  You can use the shape field to delete identical and include a search tollerance. 

Delete Identical (Data Management)
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001700000053000000
0 Kudos
RobertSmith2
New Contributor
Sorry for the reply - did the work around, but I'd like know how to make this work for further analysis.

I used a field with shape length (i.e., line length) - in Field Properties, says it is "Type:Double", and they should be identical.  When I pulled them out into an excel file, they were identical.  I am working with about 4,000 records.  In the file, there are 2 identical records with different names (they are flipped depending on where the start and end locations where - i.e., one starts at one end and the programs runs it again starting at the opposite end) - for each record, the line length is the one feature unique to the pairs.  I wanted to basically delete every other record.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Bob
0 Kudos