Select to view content in your preferred language

Is Visual Studio required to use the plugin

Jump to solution
10-20-2022 01:11 PM
MaximeDemers
Regular Contributor

Hi,

This is a really newbe question. Our organization would like to test the plugin with Unreal 5 engine, but we are wondering if Visual Studio is really required or optional.

Is it possible to work only with the UI without Visual Studio or is it an absolute prerequisite? Why Visual Studio is needed and what it is used for?

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SNauman
New Contributor III

Visual Studio is require to initially compile the project when the project is first created. When you create a new project that uses the plugin, you'll need to create a C++ project because of a plugin dependency.

You can try adding the plugin to the Plugins folder as documented on the ArcGIS Unreal docs site, then double clicking on the .uproject icon. This will trigger Unreal's build system to compile the project for you, but I'm fairly certain you might encounter errors.

After you create and compile the project, you are free to use all the tool available to you in the editor, including Unreal Blueprints for scripting. You technically don't need to use C++ code, but you will have more feature flexibility if you use the plugin API via code.

https://developers.arcgis.com/unreal-engine/install-and-set-up/add-the-plugin-to-a-new-project/

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SNauman
New Contributor III

Visual Studio is require to initially compile the project when the project is first created. When you create a new project that uses the plugin, you'll need to create a C++ project because of a plugin dependency.

You can try adding the plugin to the Plugins folder as documented on the ArcGIS Unreal docs site, then double clicking on the .uproject icon. This will trigger Unreal's build system to compile the project for you, but I'm fairly certain you might encounter errors.

After you create and compile the project, you are free to use all the tool available to you in the editor, including Unreal Blueprints for scripting. You technically don't need to use C++ code, but you will have more feature flexibility if you use the plugin API via code.

https://developers.arcgis.com/unreal-engine/install-and-set-up/add-the-plugin-to-a-new-project/

MaximeDemers
Regular Contributor

Thank you very much for your answer!

I am wondering if it could be possible to use a Citrix installation of VS with a local installation of Unreal engine? What do you think? 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
SNauman
New Contributor III

We haven't used desktop virtualization software like Citrix (XenDesktop?), but I think it would be possible as long as you can compile and interact with the Unreal project's VS solution through your virtualization of VS.