Select to view content in your preferred language

Export from ArcGIS pro to Illustrator slow

04-25-2022 02:44 AM
Design_Studio
New Contributor

Hello!

I'm having a problem with exporting a map from ArcGIS Pro to Illustrator. I installed the plug in ArcGIS Maps for Adobe CC and everything is working fine, but it takes very long time. Some maps render for an hour or two. Is there a way to speed up this process?

Thanks,
Magda

5 Replies
NigelBaker
New Contributor III

Hi Magda,

i have experienced the same thing.

my maps also take 20-30 minutes to export to .aix and then about the same time to open in Illustrator! i am not really sure why this is but i think from looking at the Illustrtator file in detail that all the datá outside of the map frame is also exported as well.... at least it is all there just not shown. these type of things seem to result in uneccessary data bloating the file size and processing speed.

i work with a top-end PC and my colleagues with top-end Mac and we both experience the same issues.

if you ever find out how to speeed this up i would be super interested to hear.

thanks

nigel  

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all,

FYI: The upcoming release of ArcGIS Pro (3.0) has a long-awaited fix that will clip content just outside the map frame boundaries, which greatly reduces the amount of data written to vector exports such as PDF and AIX.  We also made some improvements to performance during this release.  We also made similar performance enhancements in previous releases (2.8 and 2.9) so if you're not on the latest public release, you might consider updating.

Design_Studio
New Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply. I have the latest 2.9 version, waiting for the new 3.0 to release.

I'm thinking that it might be because the base map we use have a lot of layers, so when the London map is exported it takes very long time. When I open the file in illustrator there is a lot of hidden objects that I delete to make the file working faster.  I'm wondering if there is an option not to export layers that are not visible in arcgis pro. At the moment I think it export all layers.

I hope what  I wrote makes sense.

Thanks,

Magda

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Magda,

The fix I described above does avoid exporting data that's not in the view, so I encourage you to try out 3.0 once it is made publicly available and if you're still having trouble please contact us with more details and a repro case.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
NigelBaker
New Contributor III

that is excellent news.

i could never understand why the map data wasnt clipped to the frame. 

thanks for this!

0 Kudos