How to update feature-linked annotation

01-07-2013 05:45 AM
AnnaEjhed
New Contributor
Can you explain the difference between 'Create Feature-Linked Annotation' and 'Update Annotation' on the Aeronautical Annotation toolbar? I have a map instance and have populated rows in a Cartolayer for this instance and created annotation for the objects. I move the position for some of the text elements and export to a map.

After a while I want to make edition 2 of the same map instance where some objects have been deleted and some new have been created. After updating the Cartolayer, which tool should I use - create annotation again or only update annotation?

If an existing name have been changed I do not have to do anything since the text is feature-linked with the Cartolayer and updates automatically. Is this correct?

The important thing for us is that all text that have been moved from their original position to a better cartographic position will keep their new position since it is time-consuming to work with texts.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AeronauticalSolutionTeam
New Contributor II
The Create Feature Linked Annotation tool within the Aeronautical Solution will create all annotation feature based on the source cartographic layer within a specified Area of Interest.  On top of this, it will automatically adjust the desired size of the annotation to match the scale of the selected AOI as well.  The Update Annotation tool will update the annotation based on the source field or label expression that was used to create it.  It too, will update the size of the annotation based on the scale set within the AOI.  In reality, the Create Feature Linked Annotation tool will actually run the Update Annotation tool during creating to ensure the size is correct.  Here are the help documents which outline some of their functionality:

Aeronautical feature-linked annotation: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Aeronautical_feature_linked_annotation/010...

Creating feature-linked annotation using the Create Feature Linked Annotation tool: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/using_the_Create_Feature_Linked_Annotation...

Updating Annotation: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0104000002t3000000

In your scenario you describe about 'edition 2' you have a couple of options.  Your first option would be to delete, modify and create annotation each time you need to publish your product.  You would use Create Feature Linked Annotation to create all of the annotation for the product, and then modify and delete as you see fit.  In this case you probably wouldn't need to run Update Annotation unless you were manually modifying some of the data used for creating the annotation.  Another option might be to create another Product or instance within Product Library and re-initialize the product in a second instance.  This will allow you more cartographic control over what features are created as well as provide you a static version of the product you do not have to modify each time you would like to publish it. 

The automatic updates of features can be a little misguiding.  Any annotation features created with the Create Feature Linked Annotation tool will not update dynamically once the source features have been edited.  This is done by design.  In this case if the source field, Label expression, or VST calculated field has been changed for an existing piece of annotation, you will simply need to run the Update Annotation tool for the instance and all feature will be updated based on the source and AOI scale.
0 Kudos
AnnaEjhed
New Contributor
Thanks for a long answer. I think I understand better how the tools are meant to be used, but I still have problems with the annotations. I have the labels stored in a Carto layer, ADHP_C, in a textfield called Label1_Txt with Length = 2500 and expressed as a VBScript (generated from Calculated Field function).

When running Create feature-linked annotation tool should the text expression get copied to the field "Textstring" in the annotation class, but sometimes this field becomes empty, populated with null valus. It does not happen all the times, for some feature classes it works all the times, but for ADHP it works on the first map sheet but not for the rest.

I have tried different cases a lot of times but have not figured out what makes it work and why it does not sometimes. Have you heard of this problem or have any idea what the problem might be? I put a Line Callout as a text frame in ArcCatalog on the empty annotation layer before running the tool.
0 Kudos
AeronauticalSolutionTeam
New Contributor II
I think the possible key here is that you mention using a Line Callout.  Why this is interesting is we have just resolved a similar issue from another customer having issues on certain features which utilize a line callout.  I would suggest installing 10.1 SP1 QFE2 (when it becomes available) and try the tools again.  If you are still seeing the issue, please submit a customer support incident with a detailed workflow and we will investigate the issue for you.
0 Kudos