Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS IPS v. ArcGIS Indoors?

07-15-2023 08:04 AM
mprogers
New Contributor II

I am trying to build a custom app to display a map of campus building, show a person's location in that building, and provide instructions on how to navigate from one room to another. I need accuracy -- to the door navigation in a multistory building. So would ArcGIS IPS suffice, or would I need ArcGIS Indoors?

Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaoloFogliaroni
Esri Contributor

Hi @mprogers and thanks for reaching out on this. 

ArcGIS Indoors and ArcGIS IPS are two different products and you can read more about these at the following links:
- ArcGIS Indoors: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-indoors/overview

- ArcGIS IPS: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-ips/overview 

In a nutshell:

- ArcGIS Indoors provides functionalities to create indoor, floor-aware, maps from external sources like CAD, BIM, and Revit files. It also enables wayfinding (e.g., finding the shortest route between two points) and space management capabilities (such as office hoteling)

- ArcGIS IPS is Esri's solution for indoor positioning. It enables real-time positioning and puts a blue dot on an indoor map. It builds on top of an ArcGIS Indoors data model which will provide the indoor map as well as floor information. ArcGIS IPS relies on radio frequency (RF) signals to work, either WiFi or Bluetooth. In properly configured environments ArcGIS IPS can definitely provide the "door-level" accuracy you are looking for.

Note 

WiFi-based IPS will require a double setup process because Apple has its own solution for indoor positioning. This is called Apple IPS and requires a separate setup. Of course, Apple IPS is only available on iOS devices. Also, for Android devices, you will have to disable WiFi throttling from the Developer Options menu.

Bluetooth-based IPS allows for a single setup process for both iOS and Android platforms.

Hope this helps. 

Paolo