Select to view content in your preferred language

Portfolio Ideas

06-01-2022 06:23 AM
Labels (1)
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

As I'm always looking for replacements for the Map Series classic story map template, I was happy to discover the tabbed layout for the Portfolio app.

1) Please allow all the navigation tools to be hidden and not just the play button. None of my projects have a use for it and it would be redundant with just clicking on the tabs themselves. It just adds to the visual clutter and uses up space that could be used for hyperlinks and logos like in the Map Series template.

2) Please allow duplicate items to be used in the sections. As of now, you get "Error: Duplicate section. Please select different content." This app is advertised under the "Compare Maps/Layers" category, but you would need to create multiple map items to compare layers. The ability to use the same map and turn layers on and off on each tab in the Map Series template was excellent.

4 Comments
AwesomeEvan

I'm particularly frustrated with not being able to reuse a map and control layer visibility on it as I did with the classic tabbed map series. 

I would often create a map with 1 layer source displayed several times over to symbolize it several different ways. Then add this same map in the app to create several tabs simply controlling layer visibility 1 at a time.

To recreate this in a portfolio instant app I'm now required to make multiple maps for 1 app, which seems like its an unnecessary creation of items compared to before. 

so before it was 1 layer, 1 map, 1 app... now it's 1 layer, 10 maps, 1 app.... -_-

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hi @ChelseaRozek ,

Thank you for the feedback on Portfolio. As of the November 2022 ArcGIS Online update, you should be able to hide all the navigation tools including the play button. 

For being able to add items multiple times, thanks for the idea will pass this along to team for consideration. One quick question about this, if you add the same web map, would you want to have control of map settings like layer visibility or the map extent each time the same map is added? 

Thanks again,

Sarah

AwesomeEvan

@SarahMcDonald_Esri In classic you could do both... if the map locations were synced then extent stayed consistent... if not synced you could set different extent for each map/tab.

More importantly for myself, I would like to control the layer visibility after adding the same map multiple times.

here's an example

https://orangeville.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=315456bcf9be42bf8ced4b22b865e704

This is 1 map with 1 layer copied and symbolized 4 times (so 4 layers). I add this map to the app 4 times and show only 1 layer per tab. (overall 1 layer, 1 map, 1 app)

Recreating this in the new app requires me to make 4 separate maps each map with 1 layer. (1 layer, 4 maps, 1 app)

hopefully this is clear 😛

ChelseaRozek

Hi @SarahMcDonald_Esri, Thanks for letting me know! I just checked it out and it looks great! I can hide the (?) by turning off the Introduction panel and the rest with the "Next and previous" and "Autoplay" toggles.

I would love to have layer visibility as well as extent, but layer visibility is most important for me. We haven't been happy with the newer products, so I had to keep using the classic map series for our elections results this year: Washtenaw County Official Election Results: November 8th, 2022 (ewashtenaw.org) I have 100 layers, so I really want to be as efficient as possible.