Select to view content in your preferred language

Dynamic Inset Maps

11-16-2023 11:12 AM
JamesPoeschel
Occasional Contributor

I have many maps that require users to zoom in in order to conceptualize the data. I tried out the Inset Map Instant App, but I'm seeing that they are only static insets. It would be very cool to be able to have users stuck at a predefined max zoom level on the main map and as they pan around, there would be a box in the inset map reflecting where they are in the study area. 

JamesPoeschel_1-1700161736151.png

2 Comments
KellyHutchins

Are you looking for behavior like the Locator map option in the Media app? You can see it in this test app by clicking the globe button in the lower left corner of the app: 

https://jsapi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/media/index.html?appid=ff880ec840c6415c8ad6911d4ac97e57

JamesPoeschel

Yes, that is definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for. However, I would love to this is ability in the inset app. 

The overview map function in the media app has a lot of limitations that the inset app does not have. The media app's overview map zooms in with the main map - it'd be useful to have the ability to keep it at a fixed zoom level. The zoom in the overview map function ends up being too zoomed in to be useful for many of my maps.  The media app widget is also limited to empty basemaps, instead of a web map where we could put a study area outline as a reference.

I think this functionality would be a great compliment to the inset app. Or to have the media app's overview map widget have more options to overcome its limitations.