Select to view content in your preferred language

Consistent configuration experience between Instant Apps

07-24-2023 11:30 AM
RyanBohan
Regular Contributor

Please have a consistent configuration experience between Instant Apps.

I recently had the request to move from the SideBar Instant App to Nearby, for the nearby radius search functionality.  My first thought was to just open the SideBar and copy the setting/configurations into Nearby, to get the same look and feel with the functionality.

I noticed on the About panel, the order and language of the configurations are different between the apps.

"Introduction panel" vs "Enable Introduction Panel"

"Open introduction panel at start" vs "Open as splash screen"

Custom header is only available in Sidebar

URL link to the title only available in NearBy

RyanBohan_1-1690222587456.png

Having a similar order and language between apps, would make it much easier to jump between instant apps.  As well making it much faster to configure a never before used Instant app, as 80-90% of the options would be identical to other Instant Apps.

7 Comments
BrittanyBurson

So 👏 much 👏 this

EthanV
by

Love this post

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hi @RyanBohan 

Thanks for reaching out about this, it's great feedback. We are currently working on updating the apps configuration for the Introduction panel (and other tools) to use consistent language and placement. This is a consistent work in progress in all Instant Apps configurations, but hoping to update the intro panel terminology specifically in the next ArcGIS Online update. 

If there are any other examples of this, feel free to add them to this post. Really appreciate this feedback! 

Thanks!

Sarah

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hi @RyanBohan 

Also, making a note for adding custom header to Nearby and URL link for app title to Sidebar. Will explore these tools for Nearby/Sidebar.

Thanks!

Sarah

RyanBohan

Hi @SarahMcDonald_Esri,

Great to hear the Instant Apps team is working on it.  I have not looked at the other maps, just happened to run into it when looking to move from Sidebar to NearBy and noticed things looked different.  If I notice anything else, I will be happy to post it here.

Thank you

MichaelHalley

Hi Everyone

I have been using the Media Map template and it would be great for the "Open Introduction Panel at Start" option to be added there as well. 

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 18.34.24.png

Agreed that overall consistency would be extremely reassuring.

Is there any way of tracking whether/when these suggestions will be implemented?

Thanks!

RyanBohan

Hi @SarahMcDonald_Esri,

In the Manager Instant app you are able to configure the fields & order of an attribute table.

In the Sidebar Instant app you are not able to configure the fields & order of an attribute table.

• Would love to see the same functionality added in the Sidebar Instant app.

Re: Show/Hide columns for Attribute Table within t... - Esri Community