Select to view content in your preferred language

Media Size Too Large Error

01-28-2024 07:29 AM
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor
  • I am trying to save my workbook after trimming it down, resizing it and replacing a dataset with a similarly sized dataset (192 point records). This workbook has been fine for about 15 months but I have just gotten this error message. Each sheet has 1 small image in it with the title, but besides that I am not trying to work with any images or other media to fix the suggestion. I have also tried removing the images altogether and this didn't fix it.
  • The error first started when I applied a filter to some null values within a bar chart. If I clicked undo it would save again.
  • I now have a situation where I can't close my workbook as a deadline is approaching and I don't want to lose my saved work, but Insights won't let me for some reason. Some key info about the workbook:
  • 19 sheets (down from 26 after this weekend)
  • 2x sets of data on each - England/Wales LSOA level feature layer and a points layer, styled by client logos, with 192 records. The styling is done at the feature layer level so Insights is not having to handle the images itself.
  • 15 months active, only just started doing this today
  • Never seen the error before.
  • Have tried clearing cache and starting again but this didn't work
  • I am on the browser version, ArcGIS Online.

Can anybody help?

Rob_Hughes_32Alpha_0-1706455382708.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@Rob_Hughes_32Alpha ,

Thanks for your question. I have a few questions so I understand this correctly:

Are you adding any Text/Media cards? and if you have styled the workbook e.g. with an image in the background or on the side, it might complain that the size of the image in that card is large. You may want to check the resolution of the image you are uploading and if you want to replace that image with a URL. I see that you tried removing those but it didn't fix the problem. (Just want to be sure if you are referring to this)

The error first started when I applied a filter to some null values within a bar chart. If I clicked undo it would save again.

Can you explain this more? Are you applying a card filter or a dataset filter? What is being filtered?

2x sets of data on each - England/Wales LSOA level feature layer and a points layer, styled by client logos, with 192 records. The styling is done at the feature layer level so Insights is not having to handle the images itself.

• Do you mean this layer using a Picture Marker symbol? 
  • Has the problem started happening after the original layer/dataset you replaced with the one with icons? 
  • Is this layer being filtered in the bar chart, you mentioned?
  • Picture Marker Symbol should not affect the size of the workbook if it is being queried, unless, maybe a copy to workbook operation has been used.\

It will help us to isolate the problem and maybe try adding the same layer in a new workbook. I will also recommend you duplicate and keep a copy of your workbook as well as use the Export option on the workbook tile and download the copy .insightswbk file so you don't lose any of your work.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Akshay, thanks for your reply. I have responded to your questions below:

Are you adding any Text/Media cards? and if you have styled the workbook e.g. with an image in the background or on the side, it might complain that the size of the image in that card is large. You may want to check the resolution of the image you are uploading and if you want to replace that image with a URL. I see that you tried removing those but it didn't fix the problem. (Just want to be sure if you are referring to this)

I am not adding any new images or text. These images have been there since the workbook was first developed and are of a reasonable resolution and size. I was not editing them when the issue started.

Can you explain this more? Are you applying a card filter or a dataset filter? What is being filtered?

My data has a "site risk rating" of minor, moderate, significant, major or critical associated with each crime. I have 19 sheets of the same layout, each one for a crime. The graph I was filtering was to get rid of the two "null" values in the data, however I have now reverted this and the issue has persisted.

• Do you mean this layer using a Picture Marker symbol? the map has 80x80px client logos as the symbology for the point layer
  • Has the problem started happening after the original layer/dataset you replaced with the one with icons? no, and I am using this layer on 27 sheets in total across two workbooks and it performs as expected
  • Is this layer being filtered in the bar chart, you mentioned? yes, as I applied cross filters. However I have now removed the filters and the issue with saving is still there.

It will help us to isolate the problem and maybe try adding the same layer in a new workbook. I will also recommend you duplicate and keep a copy of your workbook as well as use the Export option on the workbook tile and download the copy .insightswbk file so you don't lose any of your work.

I have done this and the other workbook is fine, saving correctly. 

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@Rob_Hughes_32Alpha Thanks for the additional information. This error is usually associated with large image uploads in the text and media card. Unfortunately, everything seems normal to me and I can't figure out the issue from the information you gave.

What is the size of the .insightswbk file when you export and download it?

I will suggest you create a support ticket for the issue so someone can take a look at this. If the data is not sensitive you can share it with me via a private message.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately I can't export the workbook as it currently contains errors. I do still have it open though. The counterpart workbook (similar size in terms of content and sheets) is 36.2MB.

The data contained within it is sensitive so I wouldn't be able to send you any samples. I am able to screen share with someone from support though if that helps?

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

I think it would be a good idea to have support take a look.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Akshay,

I have managed to find the exact fault - it happens when I try to filter a layer and I have got it into a state where I can replicate the fault every time now. Would be happy to talk to support, please ask them to email me and I can show them.

Kind regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@Rob_Hughes_32Alpha That is great news! If you can share the exact steps I can try and reproduce and log the issue in our repository.  If you wish to submit an issue with support, I think you may want to create a case through your My Esri/support. Or https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact/report-bug . Unfortunately, I can't create a case on your behalf, you can also reach out to your account manager and discuss your options.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Akshay, I'll raise the issue through the link you provided. I think that the issue is related to the make up of my workbook specifically, so I'll go through it with support rather than list out the steps. In short though I get that error on any sheet when I try to filter data in the side bar and then save. If I undo, it will save normally. 

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Not a problem, Please create a case and we will take a look. 

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos