Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosted versus Remote data and ArcGIS Enterprise Geodatabases

Jump to solution
a week ago
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

This is the definition of Insights hosted feature layers from https://doc.arcgis.com/en/insights/latest/get-started/feature-layers.htm.

TylerT_0-1718279103443.png

I was hoping that "Insights hosted feature layers" would include ArcGIS Enterprise feature layers that are on MS SQL Server in an Enterprise Geodatabase registered as a data store, but my testing has shown otherwise.  They show as "Remote feature layers".  The vast majority of our data will reside on the MS SQL Enterprise Geodatabase severely restricting Insights functionality.  

That is unless, I'm missing something.  Is it possible for data residing on an Enterprise Geodatabase to NOT be remote?

Let me know.

Thank you,

Tyler 

Enterprise 11.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@TylerT Thanks for your question.

Feature services backed by Enterprise GDB should come in as a hosted layer when published to the portal's hosted datastore. If the layers are published to the ArcGIS Server (outside of the hosted datastore) or are referenced (created using URL) then they will be treated as remote layers. 

If possible, I recommend you connect directly to the MSSQL Enterprise geodatabase using a database connection. This will give you the full functionality and strong performance.  ArcGIS Insights will honor the data permissions set on your data and users in your database except row-based access is limited to MSSQL when connecting with Windows Authentication.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@TylerT Thanks for your question.

Feature services backed by Enterprise GDB should come in as a hosted layer when published to the portal's hosted datastore. If the layers are published to the ArcGIS Server (outside of the hosted datastore) or are referenced (created using URL) then they will be treated as remote layers. 

If possible, I recommend you connect directly to the MSSQL Enterprise geodatabase using a database connection. This will give you the full functionality and strong performance.  ArcGIS Insights will honor the data permissions set on your data and users in your database except row-based access is limited to MSSQL when connecting with Windows Authentication.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @AkshayHarshe,

Connecting direct to the EGDB with my db connection added additional functionality.  I have another related question, but will start a new post for that. 

Thank you.

Tyler