Do scheduled page updates re-copy data from remote feature classes to workbook?

Jump to solution
08-10-2021 10:13 AM
Roger_Bannister
New Contributor II

The documentation scheduling updates to shared pages is a little fuzzy when it comes to data that needed to be copied to the workbook in order to be used in Insights analysis. I'm using a publicly shared polygon feature layer hosted by another ArcGIS Online organization in part of my analysis. I couldn't use this layer directly because it isn't supported when I try to use it in a relationship with a hosted feature class from our ArcGIS Online organization. I had to use the "copy to workbook" option and use the copied layer in the relationship. Subsequently I've created a page to share within my organization and I want to schedule it to update every morning, roughly the frequency that the polygon feature layer is updated by the other organization. Does that scheduled update go all the way back to the step where it copied the data to the workbook or is that copied data static?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @Roger_Bannister ,

Unfortunately, this workflow isn't supported yet but this is in our pipeline with a higher priority. 

The analysis should be updated for another side of the join if it is coming from your hosted feature layers that are updating. If you need to update this at the moment then you can do it manually:

1. Refresh the Original dataset
  2. Create "Copy to workbook" dataset
  3. Switch to the Model view
  4. Replace the Current dataset copy of the dataset with the new copy
  5. Delete the old layer
  6. Share and update the page again.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @Roger_Bannister ,

Unfortunately, this workflow isn't supported yet but this is in our pipeline with a higher priority. 

The analysis should be updated for another side of the join if it is coming from your hosted feature layers that are updating. If you need to update this at the moment then you can do it manually:

1. Refresh the Original dataset
  2. Create "Copy to workbook" dataset
  3. Switch to the Model view
  4. Replace the Current dataset copy of the dataset with the new copy
  5. Delete the old layer
  6. Share and update the page again.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Roger_Bannister
New Contributor II

Thank you @AkshayHarshe . Interestingly, I have been watching my published page over the past week and I noticed that my output summary chart and table were changing each day as the data from the other ArcGIS Online organization has changed. Looks like the layer I had to copy to the workbook is getting updated data from the remote source during the scheduled update. Or at least it works for this particular case.

0 Kudos