Can services using query layers be used in Insights?

Jump to solution
04-07-2017 12:43 PM
LSaunders
New Contributor III

I use query layers to create many web services so that my data is updating.  I want to use these in Insights as data feeds, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

When publishing the query layer, it creates a map service.  I add the feature service url to my Portal content after this as a separate item so that Insights can see it as a feature service.  

When I add it to a map on a card, the symbology shows, but the actual points don't show.  

Has anyone successfully used a feature service that is using a query layer?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Leah, 

it looks like the behavior is a defect: 

BUG-000103325 : When adding a service to a map in Insights for ArcGIS where the data source for the service is from an Oracle database, the data will not be visible on the map, but attributes can be viewed.

Thanks,

Aravind

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Leah, 

Is the Query Layer coming from a non-geodatabase or an enterprise geodatabase? 

Additionally,

When publishing the query layer, it creates a map service.  I add the feature service url to my Portal content after this as a separate item so that Insights can see it as a feature service.  

When you publish the query layer with feature access, it should add two items to your Portal if the ArcGIS Server is federated: Map Image Layer and a Feature Layer. So, you can use the item called "Feature Layer" to add this to the Insights workbook. 

I published a view from my non-geodatabase to ArcGIS Server as a feature service. I can see the points rendered in the "Map" card. 

Thanks,

Aravind 

0 Kudos
LSaunders
New Contributor III

The query layer is pulling data from a non-spatial Oracle db. I did add the feature service to my Portal as content then tried to add it to a card, but the points don't show.

All of our data is projected to a local coordinate system and we store the st. We use these services in most of our web maps.

I can't publish with feature access, this fails during publishing as the data is from a read only query layer.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos
LSaunders
New Contributor III

I can't publish the query layer with feature access due to the nature of the query as I get errors about complex queries and virtual fields.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Leah, 

it looks like the behavior is a defect: 

BUG-000103325 : When adding a service to a map in Insights for ArcGIS where the data source for the service is from an Oracle database, the data will not be visible on the map, but attributes can be viewed.

Thanks,

Aravind

LSaunders
New Contributor III

Thanks for finding that!

No information about when it might be fixed though?

This renders Insights useless for us unfortunately.

Leah

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Leah,

Quick FYI for you - The above bug has been fixed as of Insights v2.0.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos