Search for a phrase

10-06-2020 09:06 PM
MarlboroughDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I may just be being dumb, but I can't work out how to do this in Hub.

In google, if I want to search for a specific string e.g. "How do I search in Hub" I put speech marks around it. In hub, this still searches for each word individually and returns all results.

How do you do a search in hub that will only include ALL words in the search query?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Hub does not currently support exact phrase matching in search. This is a requested enhancement that we have in our backlog. For now I suggest that you still include all of the words that you are looking for because Hub partially ranks based on the number of keywords that match. Sorry for the inconvenience. We're working on making text parsing improvements. Do you have an example query and search result that you expect to find at the top of the results list?

MarlboroughDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

Part of my problem was I had links to Open Data from other pages and I'd included 'sort by name' as part of the URL as thats what worked best at the time. If I remove that then it sorts by relevance which works much better.

For an example of where a specific string would be useful, it would be say searching for 'revaluation 2017' on our Open Data site. Currently, this also returns anything with 2017 in the title or description/tags, most of the results are completely irrelevant to the search

Open Data 

0 Kudos
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the example and feedback. We also plan to include better parsing of temporal and spatial dimensions from text queries as well as add temporal and spatial filters. But exact phrase search is a relatively easy change. I recommend keeping an eye on the Hub changelog for weekly changes.

0 Kudos
JenniferSherry
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas-

I came here trying to figure this phrase search thing out as well.  I would like for users on our Open Data site to be able to search for "Prairie Dogs" and not get a dataset that has only "Dogs" in it somewhere, like this:

https://open-data.bouldercolorado.gov/search?q=prairie%20dogs

As an aside, both trails and the bicycle/pedestrian datasets that are returned with the above search query have a field name of "Dogs", and that's the only reference I can find.  I'm trying to figure out how to narrow down the query results returned when using the search bar.  

I looked though the Hub changelog that you mentioned below, but couldn't find anything about "phrase matching" or "text parsing".  

Generally, I'm hoping to get a better understanding of using URL parameters to narrow searches.  I haven't been able to find much documetation!

Thanks-

Jennifer

0 Kudos