ArcGIS Hub slider

08-07-2018 04:16 AM
RobertKnapik
New Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to add slider with app to my page in ArcGIS Hub. Is there any easy way to do this?

I will be grateful for your help,

Robert

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The best way to integrate another app into your page today is to use the iframe card. 

0 Kudos
RobertKnapik
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertKnapik
New Contributor III

I would like to put a carousel like here: http://www.data.rio/ 

Is it possible to use for this Calcite Bootstrap?

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Speaking for Calcite Bootstrap, we are reluctant to include a carousel feature as studies have proven they are not an effective user-experience. The Nielson Normon Group (UX research firm) concluded in a study they performed that users skip over carousels and accordions that auto-rotate, and a B2B company called Search Engine Land determined that sliders can negatively effect your SEO as they provide redundant headings, can slow page load, and often provide shallow content lacking keywords. Their study also suggested it doesn’t matter what content is in the carousel (branding, service links, white papers) the click-rate remains low. In addition, carousels and sliders can prove to be a hinderance for organizations that care about web accessibility, WCAG 2.0, or Section 508 compliance. Carousels are difficult to build in a way that is compatible for assistive technologies as they incur issues with keyboard navigation, relaying semantic relationships between content, and any automatic movement requires stop/pause/hide controls, so sites that include a carousel are likely to be making it more difficult for visitors with disabilities.

Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Klara, this may be just slightly off topic, or rather a larger topic, but is there any GIS specific UX research you're aware of, ESRI produced or other, and that could you share or refer me to? Thanks.

PS: Full disclosure, I haven't search here or elsewhere for this kind of information - but stumbled upon your post.

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Arne,

Are there any specific problems you are trying to address? I might be able to find others who'd have resources if you're looking for specific areas. Unfortunately, my background is more of general UX/UI with a focus in web accessibility and less so in cartographic areas. 

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry about the late reply. I was really just interested in any GIS specific recommendations or research around UX. I can poll my web map users to see what they like but if I could suggest things that others (or surveys) have found successful, that would be even better. It's the questions I don't know to ask that i'm always interested in seeing answered.

0 Kudos